Self-Care Day (Ashton Irwin)

word count: 646
requested by: @the-ghost-of-luke on tumblr 
pronouns used: she/her
warnings: no outright mention of depression, but it was part of the request!!
fandom: 5 seconds of summer
au type: regular
summary: a self-care day with your boyfriend is just what you needed
inspired by: none
authors notes: we stan men who aren't afraid to do "girly" shit!!!!
other parts: none

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀

"Y/N!" Ashton called out upon entering your house, "You home?"

He didn't receive an answer, but he could hear sounds coming from the kitchen. He kicked his shoes off in the entryway before making his way to the other room. Ashton found you scooping raw dough onto a cookie sheet, not even having noticed he was there.

"Hey, princess," he made his presence known, watching you jump lightly. Your head snapped to look over your shoulder, the surprise evident on your face.

"Hi, Ash," you whispered, "You didn't tell me you were coming over today."

"Thought I'd surprise you with a night in and we could order a pizza," he said, eyeing you carefully, "What's wrong?"

"What?" you cleared your throat, "Why do you think something's wrong?"

"You're baking cookies," he replied, "You bake cookies when you're upset."

"No, I don't," you tried to laugh convincingly, "I just wanted some tonight, so I'm baking them."

You heard Ashton sigh softly to himself before his footsteps grew closer. You felt the tension leave your body – albeit a little bit – the moment his arms were around your waist and he was hugging you from behind. He pressed a small kiss to your jaw before resting his chin on your shoulder, watching your movements slow down slightly.

"Your eyes are red, princess," he murmured, "So don't tell me you haven't been crying."

"I just...was watching Toy Story 3 before you got here," you exhaled shakily, "You know how I get when I watch that movie..." Ashton didn't say anything for a moment, but you'd have been naive to think he didn't know exactly what was going on.

"It's one of the bad days, isn't it?" he asked. You finally crumbled, letting out a more defeated laugh that time.

"The worst..." you whispered, unsure he'd even heard it until he spoke again.

"Why don't I get these put into the oven while you run a hot bath, yeah?" he offered, though it was more of an order than a suggestion as he nudged you away from the counter and toward the hallway.

You didn't realize you'd even obliged until you found yourself sticking your hand under the bathtub's faucet to feel the water. Once it was almost intolerably hot, you plugged the drain to let the tub fill up. You grabbed your favorite bath bomb from the basket on the floor, admiring the colors swirling around after plopping it in the water and following suit.

You hadn't even been in the tub for two seconds when you heard footsteps coming into your bedroom. There was a brief pause before a soft knock, Ashton's voice following immediately after.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"Mhmm," you hummed loud enough for him to hear, watching the door open to reveal your boyfriend. He held up two glasses in his hands, offering one to you.

"Brought you some wine," he said, earning a barely-there smile. You thanked him softly, taking a sip as you watched him sit on the toilet seat next to the tub.

"You're not coming in?" you frowned up at him.

"I'll hop in as soon as the cookies are cooling, how about that?" he smiled, brushing your hair off of your face.

You hummed happily, leaning back against the cool porcelain and closing your eyes. You obviously missed the fond expression on Ashton's face upon seeing you finally completely relax.

"Besides," he continued, "I don't like the water as hot as you do; My skin might actually melt off."

"Gotta build up a tolerance sooner or later," you giggled.

"Yeah? Then I'm thinking for our anniversary, we invest in a hot tub," Ashton said, making you perk up. He chuckled at the hopeful look in your eyes, nodding slightly. "We'll definitely invest in a hot tub," he concluded, leaning down to press a kiss to your forehead.