Teddy Bear (Jack Barakat)

requested by anonymous on tumblr

i don't know

~

Jack woke up at 3:30am to the sound of the bedroom door opening and closed quietly. He looked over, finding a tiny shadow figure with his thumb stuck in his mouth, holding the teddy bear you'd gotten him close to his body. The toddler shuffled to the foot of the bed and Jack automatically sighed. Your boyfriend knew how much you hated being woken up in the middle of the night and since Jordan wasn't exactly the most careful when it came to climbing into Jack's bed with him, he knew you weren't going to be amused – no matter how much you loved his little boy.

Jack expected Jordan to crawl over to him like he always did, but instead, the toddler came to a stop up against your back. Although it was dark, he could still hear you murmuring as you moved around from your slumber being disturbed.

Jack held his breath as he listened to you scoot away to lie on your back. The moonlight shining through the window lit your face up just enough to allow him to see the lazy smile on your face as you and Jordan looked at each other.

"Any reason you're lying against me and not Daddy, Jor?" you whispered, understandably believing Jack was still asleep. Jordan didn't reply; He simply scooted into the side of your body, allowing you to feel his cheeks were wet when his face hit your shirt. "Close," you stated. He closed his eyes and you took the bottom hem of the shirt, wiping his eyes and cheeks. "Bad dream?" you asked. The toddler barely nodded and you went on. "You know how to keep bad dreams from coming back, right?" he shook his head no that time. "Well, if I lie on my side and bring my legs up," you said as you did exactly that, "And you scoot as close to me as you can-" Jordan obviously obliged. "-then the bad dreams can't get you because bad dreams don't like grown-ups."

"Does that mean I can sleep with you all the time?" he asked tiredly. You laughed softly.

"No," you said, "But when you wake up in the morning, I'll show you how to sleep in your own bed so the bad dreams won't get you, okay?" Jordan barely nodded again, holding his teddy bear in his arm and his thumb in his mouth while his other hand was holding onto your shirt.

He was out within the next two minutes – of course, you rubbing his back certainly sped up that process. You were almost back to sleep yourself when Jack finally let you know he was awake, carefully scooting over to you and pressing his lips to your forehead.

"Thank you," he whispered, his hand landing on your thigh so he didn't disturb his sleeping son.

"Did I wake you up?" you asked guiltily.

"No," he assured you, "I wake up every time he opens the door. So, what's the way to keep the bad dreams away when he sleeping in his bed?"

"Guess you'll have to wake up when he does and find out," you smirked, pressing your lips to his before you both drifted back to sleep.

~

Five hours later

Jack woke up later that morning, noting how cold his back felt. He rolled onto it and rubbed his eyes, looking over and noticing you and Jordan weren't there. It wasn't like he didn't know where you were though – he could hear your voice coming from two rooms over. He pulled himself out of bed, putting on a pair of sweatpants before heading out of the room. He stopped at the door of Jordan's room, finding you on your knees beside the bed while he stood next to you, a pile of all of his stuffed animals on the mattress.

"My mom taught me this when I was little because I was really scared of monsters, but I promise this works exactly the same for bad dreams," you informed the toddler. Jordan nodded, eager to find out what you had to tell him. "Bad dreams and monsters are scared of grown-ups which is why, when you sleep with Daddy after bad dreams, they don't come back," you reminded him, "But did you know they're also afraid of stuffed animals?"

"Why are they afraid of stuffed animals?" he asked.

"Daddy makes you feel real safe, doesn't he?" The toddler obviously nodded. "And you carry around your teddy bear all the time because he makes you feel safe too, right?" He nodded again. "Well, sometimes, you might let go of your teddy bear in the middle of the night and that's why the bad dreams come – because he's not right beside you anymore. But if you have a bunch of stuffed animals on your bed with you, then the bad dreams are too scared to come get you because they know your animals are here protecting you," you informed him. Jordan watched you as you set every single stuffed animal up around his pillow, at the foot of his bed, and around the side rails that were there so he didn't fall off. "Now do you think some silly little bad dream can get through all of this?" you asked, poking his stomach and making him giggle.

"No," he shook his head, the bright smile on his face having Jack thinking about how lucky he was to have you there.

"I don't know about you, Jor," you sighed dramatically, "But all this chasing away bad dreams made me hungry."

"Can you make waffles with chocolate chips in them?" he asked excitedly, bouncing on his feet, "Daddy doesn't make 'em as good as you do."

"I beg to differ," Jack finally spoke, making you and Jordan look at the door as he walked into the room, "I make excellent waffles with chocolate chips in them."

"But not as good as Y/N's," Jordan stated. Jack scooped his son up in his arms and tickled him, causing the little boy to squeal and squirm around. When he stopped, he put Jordan back down.

"Why don't you see if we even have chocolate chips first?" he said. Jordan hurried out of the room and Jack held his hands down to you. The moment he pulled you up to your feet, his lips were on yours. "Morning, beautiful," he murmured, feeling you smile before you pulled away.

"You know, I just saw a whole bag of chocolate chips in the cabinet yesterday," you pointed out, wrapping your arms around his neck.

"I know," he smirked, putting his hands on your hips and pulling your body to his.

"Are you starting to make a habit of lying now?" you asked, a small grin on your face.

"I didn't lie," he replied dramatically, "I just told him to go look for them."

"It's a gateway comment," you shook your head, "That's all it takes."

Jack didn't say anything else, but he did slide his hands to your sides, prodding at them roughly. You squealed loudly in response, only able to break free for a second before he was pulling you back against his chest, one of his arms winding around your waist so you couldn't escape again.

"Daddy!" you heard Jordan call out from the kitchen, his voice getting closer with every word, "I found them!"

Jack stopped tickling you, but left his arms around you. As he nuzzled his face in your neck and pressed kisses to your skin, the toddler appeared in the doorway, teddy bear in one arm and a bag of chocolate chips in the other.

"We make waffles now?" Jordan asked, looking up at you and his father.

"Let go, Barakat," you giggled, turning your head and pressing a sloppy kiss to his cheek, "We have to feed the boy!"

You felt him let out a breath against your skin as he chuckled softly in your ear, finally releasing his hold on you. The moment you were free, you walked to the door, scooping Jordan up on your way out as Jack followed behind you.

~

i'm not proud of this but it's the best i could come up with :(

inspiration: http://anarchyaustralia.tumblr.com/post/150473992328/imagine-baby-hood-walking-into-his-fathers-room