High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 8

i hope u all liked this series as much as i enjoyed writing it!!!!!

~

Your POV; Later that night

You leaned back in your desk chair, happy to finally be done with all of your school work prep. The clock on your nightstand read 10pm, and while it was fun while it lasted, you knew you'd spend the next hour or so lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, and wondering why Maxx had done what he did. It didn't make any sense to you – you thought you finally found someone who was genuinely interested in you – and you couldn't help but let it keep you up the night before, and no doubt this night either. 

You turned off your desk lamp and got up to get changed into your pajamas, but a knock on the door stopped you. You thought it was weird – you could have sworn everyone went to bed already – and hurried over to answer it. And of the three other people in the house, it was the only one you didn't want to see.

"Before ya go slammin' the door on me, please come with me," Maxx begging, holding his hand up for you to take, "I know y're still mad at me, but I promise it'll be worth y'r while."

You eyed him skeptically for a moment before slowly placing your hand in his. He smiled brightly – happy you hadn't rejected him – and tugged you along to his surprise.

Once you were out of the house, you quickly came to realize that you were taking the same path you had already – the same path to the lake where Maxx stood you up. But before you could tear your hand out of his and go back home, you noticed a setup that hadn't been there before. 

There was a blanket near the lake's edge, two sandwiches in bags and a small bowl of grapes already laid out and waiting for you. You looked over at Maxx and noticed him already watching you, nervously waiting for your reaction.

"What are you doing, Maxx?" you asked softly. He simply smiled.

"Wanted a picnic by the water, didn't ya?" he asked, though he obviously already knew the answer.

"You texted me at noon yesterday..."

"Lake looks prettier at night," he said, leading you to the blanket, "Unless ya wanna wait 'til tomorrow."

"And have you stand me up again?" you grumbled. Maxx's expression fell a bit but he quickly shook it off, having you sit down.

He handed you one of the sandwiches, both of you taking them out of the bags at the same time. He held up his and looked at you, causing you to let out a hum of amusement as you toasted the sandwich and started eating. It was pretty quiet – neither of you really too sure what to say – until you were finished eating. You brushed the crumbs off of your hands while Maxx reached in for a piece of fruit.

You watched him toss a grape into the air and try to catch it in his mouth, but it missed and bounced off his cheek and rolled off into the grass beside the blanket instead. You quickly looked away so he didn't see your growing smile, but he noticed anyway.

"Think that's funny, darlin'?" he asked with a serious tone but you could still hear the playfulness, "I reckon I'd like to see you do any better."

You looked back up as Maxx reached for another grape. He tossed it up in the air in your direction, rolling his eyes when you followed it so it landed right in your mouth.

"Alright, darlin'," he said, obviously trying to hold back a grin, "No one likes a show off."

"Says the person who spends 8 seconds holding onto a wild animal for fun," you retorted, raising your eyebrows quizzically.