Camp Rock (Calum Hood) - Part 3

word count: 1049
requested by: none
warnings: none
au type: camp rock, camp
summary: you'd always wanted to go to camp rock and now that you finally were, it seemed like the only place things went from there was down
inspired by: Disney's "Camp Rock"
authors notes: sorry it's short but i just wanted to get something out!!! i promise the next part will be an extra spicy meatball!!!

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀

The next day

"Decided not to spy on me this time?" the teasing in Calum's voice was obvious the moment he heard you approaching the lakefront after breakfast.

"More of a one-off thing," you shrugged with a smile, "Unless you'd prefer that's how things go all summer."

He chuckled, scooting over on the bench to signal that he wanted you to sit with him. You did exactly that, bouncing on your feet until you sat down next to him.

"So what progress have we made?" you asked, peeking over his guitar to his notebook.

"Since last night? Not much," he admitted, "I scrapped it."

"What?" you frowned and furrowed your eyebrows, "Why'd you do that?"

"Didn't like where it was going," he sighed, "Maybe I'll go back to it someday, but I'm not really feeling it right now."

"Well, maybe songwriting classes can help you too," you suggested.

"You think so?"

"Don't know how your teaching style is, but Brown's was pretty good yesterday," you nodded, "He listened to our ideas and even some of our own lyrics and helped us come up with a direction we wanted our songs to go."

"He has a way with that, you know," Calum said, staring at the lake in front of you, "I hope I can be even half the writer he is one day."

"I think you already are," you assured him. He looked at you after a moment of letting your words sink in.

"You really mean that?" he asked softly.

"Maybe it's because I'm already a fan of the band," you shrugged, "But I can always tell when I'm listening to a song you wrote rather than your bandmates. All the songs tell a story, but yours make me feel like I'm in it – like I'm there and I'm in your head and I'm feeling everything along with you while you wrote it."

"Thanks," Calum gave you a soft smile, "If the whole songwriting thing doesn't work out, you could be a motivational speaker."

"Not a chance, Rockstar," you laughed loudly, missing Calum's grin get bigger as you got up, "Now let's get to class; Time to see if you're half the teacher Brown is." You were able to hear his laugh as he rose to his feet, grabbing his notebook and quickly following you so he was walking by your side.

~

Two weeks later

"Alright, Rockstar," you chirped once you plopped down on the bench, "Moment of truth: how's the song coming?"

"The original one?" he questioned.

"Any one," you clarified, truthfully not caring which song-in-progress he'd found success with.

"It's alright, I guess," he slumped his shoulders in disappointment, "Not the usual turnout I get when I write though."

"Maybe you need to take a break then – stop trying to force a song to be written. You know, if you're lucky, I might put in a good word with the camp cook and get you an extra slice of cake after dinner tonight to get your mind off it if you want," you winked, earning a laugh from Calum.

"That wouldn't have anything to do with the camp cook being your mother, would it?" he teased, smiling at the sound of your own giggle.

"If it works, it works," you shrugged, "Doesn't matter how you get there."

"I don't suppose you'd also want to enjoy that extra slice with me, would you?"

"Don't know," you shrugged with a light blush and a shy smile, "What you do with it is your own choice."

"Well, I wouldn't mind splitting it," he assured you, "But only if you promise to get in one of these-" He patted one of the canoes next to him. "-things with me sometime."

"I might be able to work that into my schedule," you bashfully chewed on your inner cheek.

~

Three days later; Saturday afternoon

"Calum, stop!" your laugh echoed through the mountains as the musician made the canoe spin around on the lake, "That's not how this works!"

"What are you talking about?" he asked, his smile as big as yours, "Of course it is! You just row in the direction you wanna go!"

"Then why do you wanna keep going around in circles?"

"No reason," he shrugged playfully, "Just wanna."

"Well, I don't!" you giggled, sticking your oar into the water and paddling in the opposite direction that Calum was.

The boat shook from side to side slightly, unsure which way it was supposed to be going. Your mom approached the shoreline where you told her you would be, watching the two of you for a moment before making her presence known.

"Y/N!" she called your name, making both you and Calum stop to look over your shoulder. Your mom was trying to hide her smile, obviously having heard how much you'd been laughing since the moment Calum came to get you after lunch. "We've got a dinner to get started on, sweetheart!" she reminded you.

"I might be a little late!" you hollered back, "Cal keeps wanting to go in circles!"

"Hey!" he laughed loudly, playfully shoving your upper arm, "Don't throw me under the bus like that!" Your mother simply chuckled softly to herself, heading to the mess hall to get started with Caitlyn while you and Calum rowed back to the dock.

"Thanks for inviting me to do this, Cal," you said after you'd both lifted the canoe back into its spot on the rack, "I had a lot of fun – even if we didn't get very far."

"We did get pretty far, you know," he said, "Just didn't seem like it because it was just circles." You rolled your eyes fondly, making him smile.

"I'll see you at dinner," you told him, earning a nod.

"Lola and I will save a seat for you and Caitlyn," he assured you.

"Thanks," you giggled softly.

You didn't know where it came from, but before you could even tell yourself not to, you stood up on your toes to kiss Calum's cheek. You didn't even stick around to gauge his reaction – simply just turning and running in the direction of the mess hall while Calum watched in surprise, the feeling of your lips lingering on his skin long after he couldn't see you anymore.