Shot of Truth (Ashton Irwin) - Part 2

word count: 1004
requested by: @youngblood199456 on tumblr
pronouns: she/her
warnings: none
fandom: 5 seconds of summer
au type: exes, bad boy
summary: it's been 4 months since you made that mixtape for your ex-boyfriend, 4 months since you'd last seen him, and 4 months since you were starting to worry you'd fucked up
inspired by: @bxdlvckcharm (https://marshmallowtraver.tumblr.com/post/150190923399/20-w-luke-please-thanks-x) and @phoenixsbby (https://phoenixsbby.tumblr.com/post/690223406267891712/all-this-time-hangman-x-wsoreader)
authors notes: sorry this took 3 years lol

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀

Ashton took a deep breath before he opened the bookshop's door, hearing the bell above his head ding. He could feel his heart beating like it was going to fall out of his chest at any moment, but he knew he could do this – he had to do this. He'd been hyping himself up for the past four months to come back into this shop and confront you about your mixtape. He hadn't been able to think about anything other than that damn CD – that you were telling him you still loved him.

He looked around the small shop, unable to see or hear anyone around – not a cashier, not someone stocking shelves, not anyone greeting him as he entered... It was like the store was empty. He decided he'd use the opportunity of no patrons being around to find you – at least no one would be around to hear you reject him for practically ghosting you for four months.

He began walking toward the back of the shop – the only place anyone could feasibly be if they hadn't heard someone enter – but he stopped when he heard people talking. He listened carefully upon hearing your voice, quietly making his way toward his favorite sound, and stopping at the end of the aisle of books just before he'd been spotted.

"How can he think I'm happy?" he heard you sniffle, peeking above the books to see you roughly wiping your eyes with the heel of your hand, "I've been miserable since the day he broke up with me and he thinks I'm happy?"

"Y/N," your co-worker sighed, "Maybe he's just trying to cope too. You didn't leave that CD for nothing, did you?"

"That was months ago," you mumbled, "If he's listened to it, he would have said so by now. He hasn't even come into the store since then. It probably scared him away."

"He's probably trying to figure out how," she assured you, "It took you a couple weeks to come up with the idea for the CD, didn't it? I'm sure he's just trying to come up with an idea for a response."

"He probably thinks I'm too clingy – that I'm too hung up on the past and am begging for him back..." you whispered, more to yourself than to Corrine, "He already broke up with me for being too much to deal with the first time around... Why would he wanna deal with this trainwreck again?"

And Ashton, finally having enough of you berating yourself, couldn't keep himself quiet anymore.

"Because that 'trainwreck' is the best thing that ever happened to me!" he said angrily, making you jump when he popped out from around the corner, "And I'm not about to stand here and listen to her convince herself that I don't love her anymore!"

Corrine rolled her eyes – took him long enough to speak up – before plucking the books out of your hands and taking the cart to finish working so you and Ashton could have a moment alone.

"A-Ashton!" you squeaked, quickly wiping the rest of your tears off of your cheeks, "What- What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to talk about that CD you left me," he stated bluntly to keep you from avoiding it.

"You... You listened to it...?" you murmured, surprising him.

"I mean... Yeah," he nodded, "You put it there for me to listen to, didn't you?"

"I just... I didn't think you did..." you admitted, keeping your gaze on your feet, "Been a while since you've come in here..."

"Well, uh..." he cleared his throat nervously, "Corrine wasn't wrong when she said I've been trying to think of something to say."

"I'm just- I heard you and your friend talking before... I don't- didn't...know you thought I was happier... I guess I just thought... You know I'm not good at talking about my feelings... I thought that would be easier... M'sorry if it made you uncomfortable..."

"Uncomfortable?" he furrowed his eyebrows, "Why would it make me uncomfortable?"

"I'm- I dunno," you shrugged lightly, "Jus' haven't seen you around since then, I guess..."

"You didn't make me uncomfortable," he shook his head, "I never expected you to still want me is all. Those songs you picked... That was a lot for me to hear all at once."

"M'sorry..." you repeated in a whisper.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Y/N," he assured you, "I know talking about how you're feeling is difficult for you. I'm proud of you for trying anything at all."

He saw the corner of your mouth twitch, making him barely smile as well. He watched you for a moment longer, finally realizing you hadn't looked away from the floor.

"Hey, Y/N?" Ashton said softly, "Look at me? Please?" You barely shook your head. "Why not?" he furrowed his eyebrows again – had he done something wrong already? But, as you swallowed the lump in your throat, he could have never prepared himself for your reply.

"If I look at you again, I won't be able to stop myself from kissing you," you confessed so lowly, he almost didn't hear you. But when his brain finally processed your words – when he actually realized what you were telling him – he couldn't keep himself from smiling.

"I wouldn't tell you to stop if you did," he promised.

You tried to slyly wipe your face again, but Ashton took your hand and pulled it back down. He then put his hands on your cheeks and lifted your head up. Your eyes finally met his, and he could tell how hard you were trying not to start crying in front of him.

"You are my favorite person in the entire world," he whispered, swiping his thumbs underneath your eyes, "You know that, right?"

"St-Still?" your bottom lip quivered slightly, your heart racing when he smiled at you.

"Forever," he promised, smiling even wider when you wasted no more time in kissing him.