Baby's First Word (Luke Hemmings)

gettin straight to the point with this title lmao

~

You were sitting on the couch in your living room, your feet propped up on the coffee table and your 8-month-old baby girl laying in your lap. You were talking to her, making cooing noises to make her show off her toothless grin, when she started making noises of her own.

You listened to your baby's babbles for a couple minutes before you decided to try to coerce her into saying her first word. You took out your phone and started recording, hoping you could capture it. When she paused for a moment, you started speaking again.

"What are you trying to say?" you asked, making her giggle which, in turn, made you smile at her, "What are you saying, huh? Mama?" She made the 'mmm' sound, but she wasn't actually saying the word. "Mama," you repeated to her. She babbled some more. "Mama," you made a silly face, making her laugh again. "Okay," you chuckled, "I'll let you pick then." She blew little raspberries as you grinned down at her. "What do you want your first word to be?" you asked her. She babbled again for a moment before clearly saying something that made your heart skip.

"Lulu," she said, giggling when your eyes widened.

"You said Lulu?" you asked her, making her clap her hands.

"Lulu!" she repeated happily.

"Are you saying Luke?" you wondered. Her face lit up when you said your best friend's name.

"Lulu!" she squealed, and you knew she was saying Luke's name. You immediately stopped the video and opened your messages.

You went to yours and Luke's thread, sending him the video without any context, wanting him to watch it before he knew what it was. You received the 'read' notification almost instantly, your heart racing as you knew he was watching it now.

You counted the number of seconds in your head for how long the video was and as soon as you reached that number, the three little dots that let you know Luke was typing popped up on the screen.

Are you serious????
Y/N, you're not serious
Stop messing with me
That was NOT her first word
You're joking
What the hell???
I'm coming over

You knew there was no point in texting back since he wasn't going to believe you until he heard it for himself, so you just hit the lock button and put your phone back on the couch cushion beside you while you anxiously waited for him to get there.

~

10 minutes later, Luke didn't even knock on your front door before opening it. You were still sitting on your couch with Emmi on your lap, looking over as you heard his voice first.

"Y/N," Luke stated in a firm tone, "If you're lying to me, I swear to G-"

Emmi's own head turned when he started talking, making her shoot a toothless grin toward the blonde as he came into view.

"Lulu!" she clapped again, making him freeze in the middle of the room.

"Y/N..." he said again, softly this time, "There's no way..." The look on his face rendered you speechless – the only thing you were able to offer him was a shake of your head and a smile.

"Lulu!" Emmi repeated, her little hands reaching for him. And if there weren't already tears in his eyes, that certainly would have gotten him.

Luke immediately wiped his face, coming over the couch. He moved your phone to the coffee table and sat down beside you. Emmi was still reaching for him, so there was no hesitation in taking her from your lap and holding her on his own the same way you had been.

"Lulu," she cooed again happily, her fingers wrapping around his own index ones when he held them up to her.

"Y/N..." he murmured, breaking gaze with the baby on his lap to look at you. You smiled, wiping your own face as you shook your head for a second time.

"I wasn't joking, Lu," you promised him.

"That really was her first word...?" he whispered, "My name was her first word...?"

"I wouldn't make that up, Lu," you whispered back, unsure your voice would give you any more volume than that. He let out another breath, turning back to Emmi.

"Why... Why would she say my name...?"

"She's used to seeing you, Luke; She's used to having you around," you told him, "Honestly, at this point, you're more of a father to her than her real one ever will be."

"Y'think?" he murmured.

"I know," you promised, "Wyatt hasn't called once to ask about his daughter. I knew he was going to be a deadbeat dad, but..."

"You thought he'd at least care about her," Luke finished your sentence for you, looking at you with a solemn expression.

You sighed, leaning back against the couch, "Yeah..."

"Well, if it's any consolation, you've always got me," he grinned down at your daughter, leaning in and pressing a kiss to her little nose that made her laugh. You watched the two for a moment before reaching over and pressing a kiss to Luke's cheek.

"Thanks, Lu."

~

i always feel like it's been two months since my last update but it always turns out it's been like three days lmao