White Horse (Trevor Collins) - Part 1

a soulmate au in which u can hear what songs ur soulmate hears

~

Trevor's POV

"She's been listening to that song again..."

"Again?" Jeremy furrowed his eyebrows, looking up at the man sitting on the other side of the restaurant table, "It's been like, three months."

"I only ever hear that song anymore," Trevor sighed, "I tell myself it's just because she likes it, but I don't know... I like sad songs too, but I don't listen to them that often..."

"Maybe she goes to really depressing parties where they only listen to that one song the whole time," Jeremy said, trying to make his friend feel better.

And it worked – if only a little.

"Yeah, I'm sure that's it," he chuckled softly.

"Well, when you meet her, then you can bring her here and we'll make sure she listens to happy songs."

"If I meet her..."

"You're gonna meet her, Treyco," Jeremy assured him, "The universe wouldn't make your soulmate someone you were never going to meet."

~

Six weeks later; Saturday night

To get Trevor's mind off of everything that was always worrying him about his soulmate, Jeremy insisted he join him and Kat on their trip to a local bar that was having an open mic night. Trevor, despite simply wanting to stay in and stuff his face with pizza and junk food, agreed. He knew they were just trying to help, and he figured he should show his appreciation by tagging along.

And he was enjoying himself, but he kept thinking about his soulmate and one really weird coincidence.

"Trevor!" Jeremy said, waving his hand in front of his friend's face and knocking him out of his trance, "You okay?"

"I... I think she's here..." Trevor trailed off, making the couple's eyes widen.

"Your soulmate is here?" Kat said softly, not wanting to alert anyone who could be listening, "How do you know?"

"I don't; I just... I keep hearing the same songs that are being played tonight and when I went out to get my jacket, I could still hear them..."

"Dude, that's awesome!" Jeremy said, patting Trevor's shoulder, "You have to find her!"

"How?" Trevor sighed, putting his chin in his hand and his elbow on the table, "I can't just go up to every girl here and ask if she's found her soulmate yet."

"Well, why not?" he shrugged. Trevor simply rolled his eyes.

"How about this," Kat started, "Just look around while the next person is performing and see if anyone else is looking around as well." He nodded in response – though he didn't really think he had many other options.

So as the next person came onto the stage, he took Kat's advice, scanning the audience. Well... Until the moment the girl on stage started singing, that is.

Your POV

"Hello," you said shyly into the microphone as you sat down on the stool behind it, not really used to having all this attention on you, "Uh... I'm Y/N and I've been working on this song for about four months now, so I really hope it doesn't suck." Everyone laughed lightly, watching as you began playing the guitar on your lap.