High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 1

high noon (n.) - an event or confrontation which is likely to decide the final outcome of a situation

~

"Is it just me or have we been driving forever?"

When you received no answer to your question, you glanced over to the passenger seat. Your potted cactus was securely buckled in, staring straight ahead at the dashboard in front of it.

"You're right, Spike," you nodded, your eyes returning to the road, "We'll be in California soon enough – just a few more hours. I still think it's unfair you're making me do all of the driving though."

But another hour in – because this was your life and nothing could ever go according to plan – your car engine started making a noise you'd never heard before. Your eyes widened when it started smoking, immediately pulling off to the side of the road. You knew the basic red flags to look for when it came to cars smoking, so you knew you didn't need to abandon ship and get as far away as possible; You just didn't know what exactly had happened.

The inside of the car was silent for a moment. You looked over at Spike, hoping he'd offer some wisdom on the situation. After another few seconds, you nodded.

"You're right," you told the cactus, "I should see if it's something I can handle before I get worked up about it."

With that, you put the gear shift in park and hit the button for the hood so you could inspect the damage. You got out of the car and propped it open, immediately sending a puff of smoke toward your face. You coughed as you waved it away and were finally able to get a good look.

"Oh, Spike... I don't know if I can fix this one..." you grumbled to yourself upon seeing the actual engine itself was the one that had been blown out. "Cross-country was a lot to ask of you, huh, Leonardo?" you sighed, closing the hood and patting it, "Hopefully, we'll have you fixed in no time and you'll be good as new." You reached back into your car to grab your phone. "Excuse me, Spike," you carefully reached across the cactus, "Thanks for keeping me off this thing while I was driving."

You stood back upright outside of the car and unlocked your phone. And much to your dismay, you had absolutely no service. You looked around and saw there were nothing but open fields in either direction, and not another car in sight.

You groaned loudly, shoving your car door closed and practically throwing yourself onto your back in the grass in front of you. You covered your face with your hands and closed your eyes, trying to come up with your next plan of action.

But luckily, that plan of action would find you less than 10 minutes later.

"You ain't dead down there, are ya?" the sudden voice above you made you jump.

You pulled your hands down and looked over to find a man in a red flannel, blue jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat sitting on top of a horse, both of them watching you curiously. You snapped up to a sitting position, sucking in a breath.

"Hi!" you squeaked out, hurrying to get back on your feet.

"Hey there," he tipped his hat, "You alright out here?"

"You wouldn't happen to know anything about cars, would you?" you asked hopefully, "Or even have a spare engine lying around somewhere?"

"Naw," the man laughed, "My preferred transportation is right here-" He pat the horse's side, causing the animal to let out a pleased neigh.

"Well, do you know anyone who does?" you frowned, "I was going to call someone, but I can't."

"Yeah, ain't much reception out here unless y'know where to look," he informed you, "Sure you've noticed by now, but you ain't exactly in the big city."