Better Off (Calum Hood) - Part 3

requested by bandshirthoarder, and art-ri-music​ and calumhoodslays​ on tumblr

Warning: Brief mention of rape

~

Two weeks later

"Y/N?!" Kassie called as she knocked on your bedroom door, "Y/N, come on! This is the second time you've locked yourself in there! We're all worried about you!" Truthfully, she didn't think she'd get a response, but amazingly, she heard your lock retract as you opened your door.

It had been two weeks since Landon's trial – two weeks since you found out your best friend was in love with you. He hadn't spoken to you at all in that time – not a text, not a call, not a glance when you walked into your shared classes... Nothing.

You were understandably hurt by the decision Calum had made. He didn't want anything to change with his confession, but he was the one allowing it to happen.

You figured all he needed was some space the first couple days, but after a while, you just started feeling hurt. He seemed like he wanted nothing to do with you anymore, and being so used to spending nearly every day with him, you honestly didn't know what to do other than cry.

"Y/N..." Kassie said gently when she noticed the solemn look on your face. She stepped into your room, leading you to your bed to sit down. "What's wrong?" she asked, her voice clearly showing her concern, "It's not like you to just shut everyone out like this." You were silent for a moment before finally finding the nerve to speak.

"Calum is in love with me..." you swallowed thickly, your voice so soft that Kassie almost hadn't heard it, "He... Landon's lawyer asked if he was... And he said yes..."

"Are you an idiot? Of course he is!" she exclaimed, making you furrow your eyebrows as you looked up at her.

"What?" you asked.

"Come on, Y/N! That boy looks at you like you put every single star in the sky! It's so obvious he's head over heels for you!" You were silent for a moment before speaking again.

"Then why won't he look at me anymore?" you whimpered, "He hasn't spoken to me since the trail and I... I must have done something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is..."

"He's overwhelmed, Y/N," she sighed, "I mean, imagine having to testify on a rape case and have your best friend find out your feelings for them all at once. I'm sure he just needs some time. He'll come back to you; He always does."

~

One week later

Another week passed, and still without any word from Calum. You'd be lying if you said you were feeling any better, but you were getting by – and that was good enough for you.

Honestly, focusing on your last class of the day was a lot easier paired with the fact that Calum hadn't shown up. You were a bit concerned – Calum never missed his classes no matter what was going on – but you decided to worry about that later and just focus on yourself for the time being.

Later that night, while you were in the midst of yet another study session, you heard a knock on your bedroom door. You bookmarked your place in your textbook, dropped your pencil onto your desk, and hurried to see who needed you.

You opened the door, your heart skipping a beat when you found Calum standing there. He was holding a bouquet of your favorite flowers and he had a timid expression on his face.

"I'm sorry," he said before you could slam the door in his face, "I... I know I fucked up... I never wanted you to find out how I feel like that, but I could've handled it a lot better... And I shouldn't have ignored you for the last month, but I... I've been trying to come up with something to make it up to you... But all I could think of was buying you flowers because I don't even know if you feel the same way, and that's all my fault. I never should have just walked away from you that day without letting you say what you needed to and I'm so-"

You couldn't keep yourself from acting, surprising Calum by just grabbing his cheeks and pulling his face to yours. He almost dropped your flowers but quickly caught himself, setting them on your dresser before moving his hands to grip your hips tightly. He brought your body right up against his, allowing you to feel his stomach move as breathed you in.

"Y/N..." he murmured as you pulled away for air.

You sucked in sharply, barely smiling when his forehead landed on yours as he opened his eyes. You found yourself staring in awe of each other while your thumbs stroked his cheekbones and his rubbed your hips.

"Y'know I don't like when you walk away before you let me talk," you reminded him in a whisper. Calum chuckled softly.

"I know," he acknowledged.

"Think we could have avoided this whole mess if y'just let me tell you I love you too."

He breathed out abruptly, swallowing the lump in his throat, "Y'do?" You looked at him lovingly as you moved one hand off of his cheek to push back a piece of hair that had fallen over his eye.

"I love you, Cal," you breathed, smiling again when his lips were back on yours.

"I love you, baby girl."

~

i really dont like where this ended up lmao