Breakdown (Cody Carson) - Part 2

word count: 2390
requested by: i-opened-the-chamber-of-secrets on tumblr
pronouns: she/her
warnings: poorly proofread
fandom: set it off
au type: regular
summary: maxx seems to notice something you don't when it comes to a certain band member you'd helped get back to the venue
inspired by: none
authors notes: should this have been two separate parts??? ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀

One hour later

You woke up, stretching only a little bit before your hand hit a wall. You let out a surprised breath, looking over only to realize it was too dark to see. You reached to your other side until it hit something soft, pulling on the curtain and sliding it open until it was at your hip.

"Jesus," you groaned, putting your hands over your eyes, "At least I know how bands sleep in broad daylight now." You yawned lightly before pulling your phone out from under the pillow and checking the time – you'd only slept for an hour.

You whined softly – you now understood why bands weren't particularly thrilled with sleeping in bunks no matter what time of day. You got out of the bunk, careful not to hit your head, and put your phone in your pocket before grabbing the backstage pass Cody gave to you and then headed off of the bus.

It didn't occur to you until about halfway down the hallway leading to the outside door that you probably should have asked Cody where their dressing room was – of course, it didn't make any difference when you were stopped by a security guard after rounding your first corner.

"Who are you?" she asked.

Your heart instantly started beating harder. You obviously knew you were okay to be there – Cody himself had told you that you were, for Christ's sake – but that didn't mean it made the anxiety of knowing you were in trouble any better.

"Uh..." you said slowly, "Y/N..." You then held up the pass hanging around your neck, "I have this."

"Honey, do you know how many fake backstage passes I've seen throughout my time working in concert venues?"

"A lot, I'm sure... But C-Cody gave me this one..."

"I'm sure he did," she rolled her eyes.

You jumped lightly when she put her hand on your back, beginning to take you toward the front of the venue to wait with the other fans already in line. You hoped you would run into another person who knew you were cleared to be backstage – and you caught a break when you found that person.

"Cody!" you called out after seeing him pass by an adjacent hallway. When he backed up and looked over to see who called for him, you pouted and it was like he instantly knew what was going on.

"What's the problem here?" Cody asked as he approached you, stopping at your side.

"Just another fan trying to sneak backstage," the security guard replied dryly.

"She has a pass," he returned, motioning to the laminated paper hanging from your neck.

"I don't think I need to remind you that things like that can be easily replicated."

"Well, when I gave it to her myself, I don't think I need to worry about that," he said matter-of-factly, "She's clear to be backstage."

As a signal that the conversation was over, Cody then grabbed your hand and pulled you back down the hallway in the direction he'd been going before you stopped him. It wasn't until you were out of the woman's earshot that you spoke again.