Not As Planned (Maxx Danziger)

requested by anonymous on tumblr

i named the kid ashton sue me it's a cute name

~

You'd met baby Danziger before, so it wasn't like you had no idea Maxx had a kid – you just didn't imagine the one-year-old coming along on the date when Maxx asked you out. But it certainly did make for an interesting evening.

This was your third date with Maxx, and a night you were really looking forward to. Although you hadn't expected the attendance of one-year-old Ashton, you were the one who suggested he tag along after Maxx texted you to tell you that he had to cancel because he couldn't find a babysitter. You insisted he bring the baby, assuring him that it didn't matter if Ashton was there or not – that you just wanted to spend the evening with him.

And that was what you did.

After you hopped into Maxx's car, kissing him on the cheek before buckling your seatbelt, you both decided to skip the movie you'd planned on seeing, not wanting to disturb other people in case Ashton got fussy. You walked into the restaurant, one of Maxx's hands on your back while his son was in his other arm, and sat down. You sat down at a booth while Maxx pulled a highchair over, putting Ashton in before sitting down across from you.

The waitress brought your menus to you as well as a coloring page and crayons for Ashton, which kept him occupied while you decided what to order. After she came back, got your orders, and took the menus back, you and Maxx were left to wait.

"I'm really sorry I had to bring him," Maxx murmured, opening the small box of crayons and dumping them onto the highchair's tray for Ashton.

"I think you're forgetting that I told you to bring him," you reminded him with a small smile as you watched the baby scribble all over the paper, not caring about the actual photo itself, "I knew what I was getting into."

"I know, but..." he sighed, "I don't know; I wanted tonight to be just us..."

"But it's not, Maxx," you turned your gaze to him, smiling a little bigger, "Just enjoy it anyway."

"I know," he shook his head, finally grinning slightly as well, "I'm sorry."

"And stop saying you're sorry."

"I'm s-" he cut himself off when you playfully glared at him. He smiled innocently, finally making you crack a grin as well.

"Don't make me come over there," you teased, earning yourself a cocky smirk.

"Is that a challenge?" he returned, laughing when you reached across the table and shoved his shoulder.

~

15 minutes later

When your food came out, Maxx got Ashton's situated before the two of you started eating. About halfway through the meal, you were in the middle of a conversation when a small whimper caught your attention. You both looked over, finding Ashton staring at his empty plate. Figuring he was just upset he'd eaten all his food, Maxx took some of his own and put it on his son's plate.

But that apparently wasn't what he wanted.

The one-year-old's eyes quickly filled with tears and before you knew it, there was a crying baby beside you – and for once, it wasn't Maxx.

You could tell Maxx was beginning to feel a little embarrassed as people looked over to see what was going on, so he got up, murmuring something about taking him outside for a few moments until he calmed down. You simply nodded but as he started to reach for the baby to take him out of the highchair, he only cried louder and reached for you.

Maxx didn't even have time to react to the motion before you were picking Ashton up, bringing him to you. You started with him on your side, but the baby slid to your lap, sitting down facing the table. He reached for the crayons Maxx had put off to the side when the food came out, so you instantly slid your plate out of the way, bringing both the crayons and paper in front of you instead.

Maxx watched in slight awe, hearing you whisper a soft 'If you're gonna be here, you've gotta stop crying' to Ashton, to which he happily complied – he was still sniffling, of course, but he wasn't screaming.

You and Maxx continued what you'd been doing before Ashton's outburst – you just ate a little more carefully so you didn't accidently drop anything on him. You finished before your date, allowing you finally take the crayon the one-year-old had been insisting you take for the last five minutes and color with him.

"You know," Maxx said, making you glance up to find him smiling at you as he pushed his plate to the side to signal he was finally finished eating, "I've never seen a purple dog before." You simply smiled as well, returning to coloring the animal.

"Doesn't mean they don't exist," you returned, hearing him chuckle in response.

After another few minutes, you heard Maxx sigh softly. You looked up at him again as you put the crayons back into their box, putting them in the diaper bag sitting on the table against the wall.

"It's getting late..." he mumbled, "I should probably start getting Ash ready for bed..." You hummed in acknowledgement, letting Maxx toss a tip onto the table and grab the diaper bag before you both slid out of the booth. 

You repositioned the baby to sit on your hip, making silly faces and cooing at him as you walked back out to the car. You put Ashton in his car seat, kissing his forehead after buckling him in – he was already dozing off and you didn't want to risk waking him up later.

The short ride back to your place was silent for the most part, you and Maxx barely whispering when you did want to say something. His forearm was resting on the center console, his hand holding yours on top of your left thigh. When Maxx pulled up to the curb in front of the door, he put the car in park before looking over at you.

"Thanks for going out with me – and Ash – tonight," he said.

"Anytime," you giggled under your breath.

"I'd walk you to the door, but..." he trailed off, nodding toward the baby sleeping in the backseat.

"Being a responsible father and not leaving your child alone in the car, even for 30 seconds?" you scoffed dramatically, "Absolutely disgusting. I never wanna see you again." Maxx rolled his eyes fondly, smiling as you went on. "I had a lot of fun, Maxx," you grinned back at him, "Even if it wasn't what we planned."

"Me too," he murmured. He leaned over the console between you to give you a kiss on the cheek, feeling you smile in return. "I'll call you after Ashton's in bed," he informed you, earning an eager nod. You leaned over and pecked his cheek as well, making him turn a light shade of red.

"Bye, Maxx," you murmured after pulling away, getting out of the car and closing the door as quietly as you could before turning and walking up the sidewalk. Maxx's eyes followed you the whole time, waiting until he knew you were safely in the building before smiling to himself again and pulling back out onto the road.