Prompt Blurb #7: Awsten Knight

prompt: "a phonebook doesn't leave bruises"

an au where you were catfished by someone using awsten's pictures and he wants to meet you for real after filming is over

all of these prompt blurbs are turning out to be much longer than a blurb lmao

~

"Y/N?" you heard your name being said, making your head snap up. 

Your heart was beating in your throat at that point, and the moment you saw who was there, you were sure it was just going to pop out onto the table you were sitting at. You'd been on-edge all morning – even before arriving 20 minutes early to the local café – especially since this was the day you were meeting someone you thought you'd been in a relationship with for the past seven months.

Last year – almost to the day – you met a boy on Twitter named Cameron. He'd randomly followed you one night, and you thought he was cute and you liked his personality from what he posted, so you followed him back. It took a couple days, but he eventually sent you a DM, saying hello and asking how you were.

The conversation went from small talk to getting to know each other to giving him your number over the next few days, and you found yourself actually falling for this guy you'd never even met. And you felt like you were on top of the world when he told you he felt the same and you started giving each other pet names and flirting more publicly and saying you were dating despite the fact that you had yet to even see this boy in anything other than pictures.

And maybe that was what made you contact the people on Catfish.

You were surprised when they actually answered your e-mail – some part of you was hoping they wouldn't so you could keep pretending none of this was too good to be true. But when they did and they came to your house and they told you Cameron wasn't who he said he was, you honestly couldn't say you were surprised; Sure, you were heartbroken, but you weren't surprised.

But once the events of the show were over – after you'd met the real Cameron – you were overwhelmed by a new set of emotions; Emotions brought on by the man in the pictures – who turned out to be in a band and whose real name was Awsten – when he messaged you on Twitter himself, asking to meet you.

And now, here you were: sitting at a table outside a café, finally staring back at this 'Awsten' person whose you'd seen for the last year but now realized you actually had no idea who he was.

"Aw-" you cleared your throat nervously, your cup of coffee gripped tightly in your hands on the tabletop, "Awsten...?" 

"Hi," he breathed, giving you a small smile, "Can I..." 

He was looking at the chair across from you as he trailed off the question, earning himself a rapid nod of approval. He sat down and things between you were silent for a moment before he spoke again.

"I'm Awsten," he told you, furrowing his eyebrows, "But you...already knew that..."

"Yeah..." you smiled shyly, "I guess this is pretty weird for the both of us, huh...?"

"More weird for you, I'm assuming..." he said, "I certainly haven't gone through what you have, and now you're meeting the actual person..."

"You're right; I do have it worse," you acknowledged, earning yourself a chuckle from the man across from you.

"So..." he cleared his throat, clearly just trying to make conversation to avoid an awkward silence, "I guess you haven't listened to the band then..." You couldn't help but laugh, noticing his body relax out of the corner of your eye.

"I was going to," you admitted softly, "But I guess I still resent the guy in the pictures that I haven't forced myself to yet..."

"Hey," he frowned, "Don't blame my band for what my pictures did." You giggled once more, finding him grinning lightly at you when you looked back up at him.

Awsten watched you fondly for a moment before he spoke again.

"You're really pretty," he said, his eyes immediately widening. "I-I didn't mean... W-Well... I did mean it; I-I just... I didn't m-mean to say it o-out loud..." In the midst of his rambling, you'd been blushing a bright red.

"You're really pretty too," you whispered, making him blush that time. ​"I mean, obviously," you scratched the back of your neck, "Or else I wouldn't have 'dated you'..."

"Oh, so you're one of those girls who falls for pictures and not personality," he sighed dramatically, "Okay, I get it."

"Hey, I fell for personality!" you reached across the table and shoved his shoulder, "Not my fault I found out the guy using your face only did it to improve his skills with girls."

"Did he really?" he murmured, earning a small shrug, "Wait, he just used you? What kind of person does that?!" You let out a sharp breath of amusement.

"Thought I was the one supposed to upset about it," you mentioned.​ Awsten stopped ranting and took in a deep breath.

"Sorry," he murmured – he really didn't know what came over him there.

"Don't be; It's nice to know that someone cares," you admitted, "Especially since he clearly didn't..."

"You know what we could do?" he started, earning a curious glance from you.

"What?" you asked.

"We could go over to his place and beat him with a phonebook," he said, "A phonebook doesn't leave bruises."

You didn't know what you were expecting him to say, but that definitely wasn't it. You instantly threw your head back and burst out laughing, missing the way he smiled at you.

"Don't tempt me," you told him as you caught your breath, finally meeting his gaze.

Awsten was giving you such a loving look, you really didn't know how to react. Sure, you'd been looked at that way before, but not since you were in high school. He seemed like a shy person, but he was still confident enough within himself – knowing what he wanted and not stopping until he got it.

But he was a shyly confident with you.

"I know this is really weird for you..." Awsten trailed off, "And if you want to say no, I'll totally get it... But I was just... I was wondering if you'd want to go out with me...? Like... On a date..." You were rendered speechless for a moment – did he really want to go out with you?

You could tell that your stunned silence was starting to worry him – that he was worried he'd gone too far, too fast. But you quickly eased his racing thoughts.

"You're not pretending to be someone else, are you?" you asked lightheartedly, earning yourself a smile.

"I'll be whoever you want me to be if it means you'll say yes," he told you.

"I just want you to be yourself," you laughed under your breath.

"Then that's who I'll be," he nodded.

You smiled back at him, "Then I would love to go out with you."

~

i kinda hate this actually 

prompt used from this list: http://marshmallowtraver.tumblr.com/post/182186217519/prompt-list-of-john-mulaney-quotes-to-be-added