High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 4

Three weeks later

"Alright!" you exclaimed with a huff, "Where are my keys?!"

Larry the mechanic had finished replacing the engine in your car and – after a pretty hefty bill that caused you to nearly pass out – you were finally ready to get back on the road... Well, if only you could find your stupid keys first.

"Oh," you heard Maxx say behind you, "You mean these ol' things?" You spun around to find the cowboy dangling the keychain on the tip of his index finger, a small smirk on his face.

"Maxx," you narrowed your eyes at him, "Give them back."

"Not 'til ya agree to wait to leave 'til tomorrow instead."

"If you don't want me to go, you can just say so," you shook your head, "You don't have to be dramatic about it."

"I just think ya should experience a proper country fair before headin' off to the beach and layin' in the sand all day," he said.

"Palm Springs is two hours away from any beach," you rolled your eyes, "And I'm gonna be swamped with grading papers anyway; I'm not gonna have time to lay on a beach all day. And what's there to do at a fair anyway?"

"Y'never even been to a fair?" Maxx's eyes widened slightly.

"Not since I was a kid," you replied, "It's not that fun as an adult."

"Well, it sure is still fun as an adult 'round here!" he chirped, "Rides, games, food, rodeos..."

"Rodeos?" you cocked an eyebrow.

"Y'ain't in the big city anymore, y'know," he grinned, "Y're in the country now."

"Do you do that then?" you wondered, "Are you in the rodeos?"

"I been thinkin' about saddlin' back up for this one," he shrugged, "Might be a bit rusty though."

"Why's that?"

"Been a few years since I last done it."

"Why? Do you not like it?"

"Naw, I love it," he shook his head, "But between helpin' my pop on the ranch and doin' stuff for people 'round town, I haven't had time for much of anythin' else."

"There's nothing wrong with taking time for yourself once in a while."

"I know," he chuckled, "But I like helpin' out too. So what d'ya say, darlin'? Care to join me?"

"Well, since you're not going to give my keys back until I agree, I don't really think I have much of a choice, do I?" you rolled your eyes, earning a bright smile.

"Naw, y'don't!" 

~

Two hours later

Upon arriving at the fairgrounds, Maxx gave you a quick tour of the place so you knew what there was to do before asking what caught your eye. You were overwhelmed by just how many things were going on the you froze for a moment. Maxx watched you with a small smile on his face before speaking.

"How 'bout ya start out with somethin' as country as ya can get?" he suggested.

"What's that?" you asked.

"Square dancin'!" 

"You square dance at the fair?" you cocked an eyebrow.

"I reckon Boston's got their traditions too," he shrugged, "So how 'bout it?"