A Christmas Miracle (Calum Hood)

this was gonna be a full band thing but then i decided to just post calum's lmao

~

"Your phone is all charged up, right, Mummy?" your 7-year-old son asked you from the backseat.

"Yes, baby," you laughed lightly, flipping on your turn signal before making a right turn, "And it will still be charged no matter how many times you ask me on the way to school."

"I just don't want it to die in the middle of the play!" Kaiden insisted.

Being in the military, Calum was obviously unable to attend the music programs and school plays that your son had been in since he started school two years ago. This year, he'd been given the lead role in the Christmas program and he was intent on not letting his father miss it, asking you film the entire thing on your phone so you could email it to Calum.

However, there was one little detail you hadn't mentioned to him.

Calum had been given a 30-day leave from duty to spend the second week of December through the first week of January with his family for the holidays. You knew you wanted to surprise your son the moment he told you, and since Calum had found out after Thanksgiving, you – and Kaiden's teacher – hatched a plan.

You knew your son was going to ask you to film his program – as he did every single time – and since he was playing the part of a soldier coming home for Christmas, it was the perfect time to surprise him. You – with the help of Kaiden's teacher – were able to find a uniform for him online that would customize the name tag on the jacket as well as add any medals onto it. Of course, you made it look like an exact replica of Calum's, and the moment Kaiden saw it, he started crying. You knew how hard it was on him not having his dad around as often as he wanted, and even though Calum would only be there for a month, you knew this would mean the world to him.

The moment you got to the school, you and Kaiden got out of the car and you fixed his uniform before going inside. It wasn't until you were putting the hat on his head that you realized just how much he looked like his father, making you smile softly as he took your hand and pulled you toward the doors, not stopping until you reached the cafeteria.

"Gramma!" Kaiden beamed, releasing your hand and running over to Calum's parents.

"Oh, honey, look at you!" Joy smiled, happily wrapping her arms around him as he hugged her waist, "Is this that outfit you didn't want us to see until today?"

"I look like Daddy!" he giggled, grasping onto David's shirt when he lifted him up.

"You sure do, bud!" he grinned, "Bet Daddy'll melt seeing you in this."

"Uh-huh!" Kaiden chirped, "Mummy's gonna film the whole play and Daddy's gonna get to watch it!"

"That's great, honey," Joy ruffled the 7-year-old's hair after David put him back on his feet.

"C'mon, Kai," you said, holding your hand out to him, "You've gotta get to the music room so you can get ready and so Mummy,  Gramma, and Grampa can find our seats." 

The little boy took your hand and let you take him out of the cafeteria and down the hallway to the music room. He kissed you goodbye and you told him to have fun before making your way back to the cafeteria to meet with David and Joy again.

"So he doesn't know?" David asked you as you all sat down at a table near the middle of the room.

"No idea," you grinned, happy you were able to keep the surprise from Kaiden.

~

An hour later, the play was over and you watched on proudly as all the kids were getting applause from their parents. Kaiden's teacher – Mr. Moore – came up onstage to finally reveal your surprise.

"Great job, kids," Mr. Moore smiled, looking back at the kids for a brief moment before turning back to the crowd of people, "I'd like to start off by thanking all of you for coming and for taking the time to allow your kids to stay after school to prepare for this play. We do have one more quick thing to share with you all, but I'm gonna need a special kid to come help me with it." He turned back to the kids behind him, looking right at your son. "C'mere, Kai," Mr. Moore motioned for him to join him in front of everyone. Kaiden trotted up to his side, leaning into him when he wrapped his arm around his shoulders. "As I'm sure most of you know, Kaiden's father Calum was unable to be here because of his own duty in the army," Mr. Moore told the group of parents and other family members, "We were really happy to give him the role of the soldier in today's program, and we know it was important to both him and his dad. We're incredibly grateful for the sacrifices he makes every single day as well as the ones his family make here at home without him. While we usually aren't able to work miracles at this school, we thought that the only appropriate way to close today's program was to welcome Army Master Sergeant Calum Hood home." Kaiden's eyes widened as he looked up at his teacher, but they quickly snapped back over to the entrance as Calum walked into the room with a smile on his face.

"Daddy!" Kaiden shouted as everyone began clapping, running over to the side of the stage and allowing Calum to reach up and bring him down to him. His arms and legs were wrapped tightly around him, making you smile as you continued recording. 

You couldn't help but tear up along with some of the other audience members – both at Kaiden's reaction and the fact that you were finally seeing your husband in person after over a year. David then reached over, taking your phone from your hand and using his other to nudge you out of your seat. You laughed lightly, sniffling and wiping your face with your sleeve, as you got up and hurried toward the front of the room.

Calum noticed movement out of the corner of his eye, making him look over. He smiled widely as you came up to them, one arm releasing Kaiden so he could wrap it around your waist.

"Hey, baby girl," he murmured with a grin, pressing his lips to yours, "God, I've missed being able to do this." Your own arm moved up to rest on his shoulder, your hand gripping the back of his neck and lightly tugging on his hair.

"Got a lot to make up for this month then," you whispered back, letting him feel your smile.

"I plan to," he returned, squeezing both you and your son.

~

don't talk to me about the title