Nothing After Midnight (Michael Clifford) *

Warnings: Abuse, swearing

~

You were hoping for a quiet day of studying at the park near your college – just a couple hours outside so you could get out of your dorm room. And it was going pretty well for a while. That was, until a brunette and whom you could only assume was her boyfriend showed up.

It seemed innocent enough – like the two just wanted to come to the park to enjoy the fresh air just like everyone else. But it started becoming more and more apparent that it wasn't the case.

You could hear the couple arguing – well, it wasn't so much arguing as it was her yelling at him for something – but you chose to ignore it for the first 10 minutes. You didn't want to get involved in other peoples' business, especially when you didn't know either of them.

But the moment she hit him was the moment you couldn't stay quiet anymore.

Everyone within earshot of the two heard the slap, turning to look in shock as the boy's own hand flew to his face in pain. You didn't know what prompted it – all you knew was that he hadn't done a single thing to warrant it. It was clear to you by the way he was just letting her reprimand him – and in public, no less – that he was too shy or maybe even too scared of her to defend himself.

And you couldn't just sit there and watch it happen.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" you exclaimed as you jumped up from your seat and hurried over, grabbing the girl's hand just before she hit him again, "What do you think you're doing?"

"None of your business, bitch," she growled, tearing her wrist out of your grasp, "This is between me and my boyfriend."

"You screaming at him and abusing him in public makes it my business," you stood your ground, refusing to allow her to intimidate you too.

"I wasn't abu-"

"Yes, you were!" you exclaimed, "He hasn't said or done a single thing since you two got here and all you've been doing is yelling at him! If he was the one doing that to you, it would automatically be abuse!"

"Well then, maybe he should learn to man up and fucking defend himself," she narrowed her eyes at him, making him swallow thickly.

"What, and make things worse for himself later?" you scoffed, "If he stood up for himself, you would have hit him harder and you know it. I don't know what you're yelling at him for, but nothing he could be doing to make you upset warrants you hitting him for it." The girl only laughed bitterly.

"He's your problem now then," she hissed, "I'm sick of his useless ass anyway." She immediately got up and walked away, leaving everyone in shock.

The few people that were around were clearly happy she was gone. They watched the boy as he got up, their eyebrows furrowing when they realized he was following her. But you didn't let him.

"Hey," you said worriedly, taking his hand and tugging him back to you, "Are you okay?"

"Th-Thank you for d-doing that..." the boy said shyly, looking down at his hands as he played with a bracelet on his wrist, "That w-was really n-nice of you..."

"Don't thank me for being a decent person. Are you okay?" you repeated when you realized he hadn't answered the question.

"I'm f-f-fine..."

You took his chin gently anyway, lifting his head up so you could get a good look at him. Your face instantly scrunched up when you noticed blood trickling down his cheek where a ring his girlfriend – ex-girlfriend? – was wearing made contact when she hit him. You knew a simple bandaid you had in your backpack wasn't going to be enough, so you spoke without second thought.