Try Hard (Harry Styles)

i know back to back agt aus im sorry

~

"I can't go out there and sing one of his songs!" you covered your face with your hands. You were preparing yourself to go onstage for the last taping before the live shows and you'd been internally arguing with yourself all day over whether or not you could actually do it now.

"Y/N, you've been practicing this song since before you found out he was the guest judge!" your sister reminded you, "And what are you supposed to do anyway, just go out and sing a different song?"

"They'll think I'm trying too hard!" you insisted, looking up at her. She sighed softly when she noticed the tears in your eyes.

"Maybe they will," she shook her head, "But that'll change once you start singing."

"Y/N Y/L/N," a producer came up to you, "You're up next." You and your sister stood up, both of you grabbing for the other's hand at the same time. You squeezed her as you followed the producer to the stage to wait for your turn.

When it was finally your turn to go onstage, your sister hugged you tightly, reminding you that everything would be okay, before she was whisked away to the seat in the crowd where she'd have a camera on her. You nodded, took a deep breath, took the microphone a stagehand was holding out to you, and went for it.

The crowd cheered, making you smile shyly as you went to your designated spot on the stage in front of the judges. You felt like your heart was going to beat out of your chest when you looked at the table and Harry Styles smiled at you.

"Hello, Y/N!" Heidi chirped, "It's good to see you again!"

"Hello," you swallowed, earning curious looks from the judges.

"You seem nervous," Howie pointed out.

"A little," you admitted.

"Are you alright?" Mel wondered, "I don't remember you being this nervous at your first audition."

"It's me, isn't it?" Harry pouted, making you giggle and relax – if only a little.

"Kinda," you replied, deciding not to lie to him.

"Maybe you'll feel better when you start singing," Heidi said, "What will you be doing for us today?" You took another deep breath, letting it out sharply.

"Where Do Broken Hearts Go by One Direction," you informed everyone. You could see Harry cock an eyebrow, making you grip your microphone tightly.

"How long have you been preparing for this audition?" Simon asked.

"Um... Since my last one ended..."

"So before Harry got here," Mel said, earning a small nod.

"Yes, ma'am," you replied softly.

"Well, show off for us, Y/N," Howie gave you the floor. You laughed under your breath, waiting for the track to start before you let yourself go.

Counted all my mistakes and there's only one
Standing out from the list of the things I've done
All the rest of my crimes don't come close
To the look on your face when I let you go

So I built you a house from a broken home
And I wrote you a song with the words you spoke
It took me some time, but I figured out
How to fix up a heart that I let down

Now I'm searching every lonely place
Every corner, calling out your name
Try to find you, but I just don't know
Where do broken hearts go