High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 3

Later that night

"Howdy, y'all!" Maxx chirped, making the group you were approaching look over.

"Hey, Maxx!" they replied simultaneously with wide grins.

"Hope y'all don't mind, but I've brought my new friend Y/N with me tonight."

"'Course not!" the only girl in the group chirped, "Sure beats bein' the only one 'round you boys all the time!" She winked jokingly at you and you laughed, "C'mon over, Y/N! Join me on the girl's seat!" She patted the empty space on the log next to her, to which you happily obliged.

"Yet ya still choose to join us here every week," one of the boys shook his head, earning himself an eye roll. 

"Y/N, these are my friends-" Maxx interrupted the two as he sat down on a log by himself. "-Juliette, Dallas, and Curly," he motioned to each so you knew who was who, "Y'all, this is Y/N. Her car broke down outside the ranch and won't be fixed 'til next month, so she's gonna stick around for a while."

"Awesome!" Juliette cheered before tilting her head, "About ya stayin', not about your car."

"Much appreciated," you grinned.

"Not to take away from our new best friend, but is that food I see, Maxx?" Curly peeked over to the pie in Maxx's lap.

"Curly here's very food-driven," Dallas told you, "Ain't ever met a single soul that can get somethin' past him."

"He'd be very good in an apocalypse situation then," you shrugged, "Though, Maxx made me help bake it, so I can't promise it'll be edible." The group laughed loudly. 

"Can't be anythin' worse than what he normally gives us," Juliette replied.

"Ya better watch that mouth'a yours, Mendoza," Maxx said, but it was obvious he was trying not to smile, "Might not go so easy on ya in the pie bakin' contest this year."

"Oh, is that what you've been doin'?" she smirked, "Y'all Danzigers have been lettin' us win first prize?" You couldn't help but giggle again, making the cowboy look at you.

"What's so funny over there, darlin'?" he asked, "Better watch it if ya still want a place to stay."

"She stayin' with you while she's here?"

"Bad enough her car broke down, and now y're torturin' her?" Dallas mentioned, only making you laugh louder. 

"He's the first person I met out here," you told the group, "Wouldn't have agreed to the offer so soon if I knew there were better people around."

"Oh, is that how it's gonna be, darlin'?" Maxx returned, finally grinning when you shrugged innocently.

"Ya can stay at my house!" Juliette said, "'Course I think any of us would be better than ol' Maxx Danziger."

"Ya know, I really though y'all and I were friends," he pouted, glancing back at you when you giggled again.

"Thanks for the offers," you said, "But I think 'ol' Maxx Danziger' is pretty sweet and I'm gonna stick with him."

"Makin' it pretty obvious ya haven't known him that long there, Y/N," Curly joked, none of you noticing the light redness Maxx's cheeks were now sporting.

~

Two hours later

It was now just after 1am and you and Maxx were heading back to his house. You didn't want the night to end – you were honestly having the most fun you'd had in what felt like years – but it was obvious that you were all starting to get tired. You all said your goodbyes and that you'd see each other again later, and went off to your respective homes. There was a comfortable silence between you and Maxx as you listened to crickets chirp and fireflies light up around you, but it was broken once the farmhouse came into view.