Holiday Cheer (Calum Hood) - Part 2

Four hours later

"Sweetheart," you woke up to your mom's voice as she shook you gently, "Wake up. I made breakfast." You grumbled sleepily, rubbing your eyes before opening them, finally realizing you were still in the living room. "You must have been pretty into your reading, dear," your mom chuckled, "You never fall asleep on the couch."

You gave her a lighthearted laugh, "Yeah, I guess so..."

"Come eat," she patted your leg before standing up, "We've got to leave for the school's program in an hour."

~

After breakfast, you got yourself dressed and ready to head out with everyone to the elementary school. As you were walking, you noticed Calum was trailing behind everyone. You decided to fall back as well, slowing down for him to catch up and then walking alongside him.

"Beautiful day, isn't it?" you attempted to start a conversation, but Calum only huffed lightly.

"If by 'beautiful', you mean 'freezing', I suppose," he said, his hands shoved into his coat pockets.

"It would still be cold back in New York, Mr. Hood," you reminded him.

"Y/N, I'm sleeping in your childhood bedroom for the next week," he shook his head, "I think we're past the pleasantries at this point."

"Right..." you nodded, "Calum then... Aren't you used to the cold weather by now?"

"I fly to Bali for winter break," he told you, "I prefer not to be somewhere cold."

"So you've never had a white Christmas?" you frowned.

"I don't celebrate Christmas at all."

"What?!" you squeaked, "Why not?!"

"It's a fruitless endeavor," he rolled his eyes, "I mean, doing things like going to see a school program when no one in your family is in school? What's the point?"

"The kids do it for the whole town," you insisted, "They want people to get into the Christmas spirit!"

"Seems like overkill to me."

"Fine – don't enjoy it," you sighed, "But if a kid comes up to you and tells you 'Merry Christmas', you'd better pretend you're having the best time of your life."

~

Once you arrived at the school, you immediately spotted Holly making sure the makeshift stage's decorations looked perfect. She was alone, so you figured it would be the perfect opportunity to talk to her about her book.

"Holly!" you chirped, making her look up.

"Y/N! I'm glad you could come!" she gave you a quick hug before returning to what she was doing.

"I told you I would," you laughed, "But I just wanted to talk to you about something."

"Hit me with it," she said.

"Well, I read the manuscript for your book last night-"

"Oh, no," she cut you off with wide eyes, "Did you like it? You didn't, did you? You're here to tell me I don't have a chance?"

"Holly!" you laughed loudly, putting your hands on her shoulders so she'd stop and look at you, "I love it!"

"You do?" she breathed out, "You're not just saying that, are you?"

"No way!" you promised, "I couldn't put it down! I fell asleep on the couch when I was done reading it! It's so incredibly well-written; You'll get it published in no time!"