High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 2

One hour later

After you had called Larry, he told you he'd be there as soon as he was finished with a current customer at his shop to take a look at your car. You headed back down the property – Maxx offered you another ride with Dolly, but you could use a relaxing walk after the morning you'd been through – and gathered up all your stuff while you waited.

Within the next 30 minutes, the mechanic finally arrived and gave you the news you were expecting – a blown engine. And you threw your head back and groaned when he told you that it would take a couple weeks for it to be fixed since he obviously didn't have an engine lying around that could go to your car and he had to order a new one. He said he'd call back with cost estimates later that evening, and you thanked him with a sigh before he left, towing the car with him.

You grabbed your suitcase and Spike and trudged back up the dirt road. Your shoulders were slumped as you went back inside the farmhouse, leaving your things at the door. You quickly found Maxx with the rest of his family in the kitchen, seeing him perk up when he noticed your presence.

"So what's the diagnosis, darlin'?" Maxx asked you, though he could tell it wasn't what you'd wanted to hear.

"Larry said the entire engine needs replaced and my car won't be fixed for at least another three weeks, so I guess I'm sticking around for a while," you sighed, "Do you guys have any hotels or something around here?"

"Naw," Maxx's dad said, "They're all in the big city – 'bout an hour drive away."

"I'll drive ya if you want, Y/N," Jazzy, Maxx's sister whom you'd met upon entering the house the first time around, offered.

"Y'all, quit bein' ridiculous!" Maxx exclaimed, "She can stay with us!"

"I don't want to overstep," you shook your head.

"Well, I wouldn't mind that," Cliff spoke up with a shrug, "Just got one rule: if you're gonna sleep here, you're gonna work here."

"I can do that!" you nodded rapidly, "I don't know how much help I'll really be being from a city, but I'm a pretty fast learner. Thank you for letting me stay here." 

"Ready for your first lesson then?" Maxx asked, "I gotta go pick some apples from the orchard if ya wanna join me."

"My first lesson is picking apples?" you laughed, "I think I can handle that."

"Follow me then, darlin'," he smiled at you, leading you back out of the house.

As you were walking with Maxx down the dirt road, you were looking around at the property. There was the house you'd just come out of on one side of the road, and a run-down looking red barn about 100 yards away on the other. Cows were roaming around a fenced-in area, horses were trotting around wherever they pleased, and a few chickens popped out from inside the barn.

When he noticed you being rather quiet, Maxx looked over his shoulder to find your eyes on the barn. He watched you for a moment – he thought it was kind of cute that you appeared to be experiencing all of this for the first time in your life – before he spoke.

"That over there's a pretty old lookin' thing, huh?" he asked, making you turn your head to look at him, "Older than my big sis and I, but still good at gettin' the job done."

"No, it's cute," you shook your head, "I like the worn-down look." Maxx couldn't hold back his chuckle.

"You and my pops have that in common then," he informed you, "He's sayin' there ain't no use in fixin' it up when it's already doin' just fine."

"Seems like a smart man," you nodded, "I don't like spending money where I don't have to either."

"Well, I think y'all are gonna get along in your stay then," he smiled again. You walked over a hill and were immediately met with a sea of brown, green, and red.

"Wow..." you trailed off, "You didn't tell me there was this much..."

"Ya didn't ask," he replied, laughing when you shoved his arm, "We like our apples 'round here."

You snorted softly, "I can tell."

"Aw, I swear it ain't that bad, darlin'," he said, "Only gotta pick enough for tonight's dessert."

"Let me guess: apple pie."

"Y're catchin' on already," he winked, making you roll your eyes, "Y'ready to get started?"

"I'm certainly not a quitter," you announced, marching over to one of the trees and reaching for an apple.

You picked the first few with no problem, but you quickly ran out of ones that were low enough for your reach. You stood up on your toes a couple times in an attempt to get them – even jumping for them as well – but nothing was working. And the amused noises coming from behind you weren't aiding in your efforts either.

"What are you doing?" you asked with a huff, crossing your arms as you turned toward Maxx, "Why aren't you helping?"

"I'm busy enjoyin' the show," he shrugged.

"Maxx!" you whined, making him laugh loudly.

"C'mon then, darlin'," he finally came over to you, "I'll give ya a lift."

Maxx stopped near the trunk of the tree, placing his hand on it for support as he knelt down. It was obvious what he was planning, so you climbed up on top of his shoulders before he stood back upright. You started wobbling lightly, prompting Maxx to hold his hand up for you to take. Once you steadied yourself, you were able to effortlessly pick the rest of the apples on the tree with your free hand.

"That's enough, darlin'," Maxx told you after you'd cleared the tree.

"That's all for one pie?" you furrowed your eyebrows, allowing him to see the look once he helped you back to the ground.

"Should be good for two," he nodded to himself as he picked the basket up, "I'm plannin' on takin' one to my friends tonight. Y're welcome to join me if ya want."

"Might as well meet people while I'm here," you sighed as you made your way back to the house.

"Aw, y're gonna have a great time, darlin'," he assured you, "Might not even wanna leave." He succeeded in getting a smile out of you as he opened the screen door, letting you inside first. "What do ya say to helpin' me out with these?" he asked, "Get your mind off'a everything."

"You want me to help you bake?" you snorted, "I'm about as good at baking as I am picking places to break down in."

"Then I reckon y're gonna do just fine."

~

inspiration: "Big Sky Country" on the Choices app