High Noon (Maxx Danziger) - Part 6

The next morning 

"Mornin', pretty girl," you heard Maxx's gravely voice as soon as you woke up, making you smile. 

"Like when you call me 'darling' better," you hummed tiredly. Maxx chuckled softly, his fingers running through your hair. 

"Think I can manage that, darlin'," he said, pressing a kiss to your forehead. He could feel you falling back asleep and, as much as he didn't want to, he knew he had to make sure you stayed awake. "Don't be goin' back to sleep, darlin'," he murmured gently, "S'almost 10."

"Too early," you pouted, making him laugh again.

"Days normally start at sunrise here on the farm," he reminded you of your past month's stay, "Y'should be considerin' y'rself lucky Pop let us sleep in this mornin'."

"Thought he was just being nice since you won the rodeo last night."

"Maybe," he breathed out in amusement, "S'pose I better enjoy it while I can."

"But it's probably getting me ready to wake up early for school."

"Yeah..." Maxx trailed off, "Y'should be gettin' ready to hit the road again then, huh...?" You felt your heart sink at now remembering this was just an unplanned stop on the way to California.

"I guess so..." you whispered.

"Y'know... Y'don't have to leave..." You tilted your head to look at him as he cleared his throat. "Been nice havin' someone else 'round..." he admitted, "Gets kinda repetitive with it jus' bein' my old man and my sister... Guess ya bein' here made things more excitin'... N'schools 'round here're always lookin' for more teachers..." You smiled sadly, reaching up and pushing his hair away from his eyes. The gesture made him sigh and swallow thickly. "But I know ya can't," he said, "I know y're needed there."

"If you ever find yourself in California, I wouldn't mind sharing a bed with you again," you told him, making him laugh. The arm that was around your shoulders squeezed you gently as he pressed a kiss to your forehead.

"Wouldn't mind that either, darlin'," he assured you.

~

Maxx's POV; Eight hours later

The family had just sat down for dinner, a somber feeling in the air. You'd only left eight hours ago, but it felt like an eternity without you for Maxx. He went about his daily chores without the same spring in his step he usually did, and by the time dinner rolled around, he wasn't much chipper either. 

"Alright, you kids!" Cliff announced as he sat down with Maxx and Jazzy at the dinner table, "It's 'bout time to fill up those stomachs! Y'all had a rough day, and this is just the thing to turn those moods right 'round!"

"Thanks for tryin', Dad," Jazzy chuckled, "But the only thing that's turnin' my mood 'round is dessert."

"Well, I reckon ya got somethin' to look forward to then, don't ya?" he grinned, making her do the same.

The two looked at Maxx when they noticed he hadn't said a single word yet, finding him staring into the living room. They looked at each other in confusion, but she was the only one to speak.

"Y'okay there, Maxx?" Jazzy asked her brother. She followed his gaze, but she couldn't quite tell what he was looking at. "Maxx!" she said a little louder, finally startling him out of his trance, "Are ya okay?"

"Ain't that..." he trailed off in thought, "Ain't that Y/N's car?" Both Jazzy and Cliff's expressions dropped.

"Don't be gettin' our hopes up, Maxx," Jazzy warned.

"We know y're upset 'bout her leavin', boy, but ya gotta move on eventually," his dad reminded him, "We all miss her, but we knew she wasn't stayin' forever." Maxx sighed softly, turning back to his plate. But he wasn't even able to take a bite of his food before a knock on the door made his heart skip a beat. 

Without even excusing himself from the table, Maxx hopped up from his chair and bolted toward the front door. He hoped it really would be you standing on the other side, but he wasn't at all prepared for who it was.

"Hi, Maxx," you barely smiled, rocking back and forth on your feet. He stared at you for a moment before finally coming back to his senses.

"What..." Maxx cleared his throat, "What're ya doin' here...?"

"I don't know..." you admitted with a shy laugh, "I guess... I made it about three hours away before I had to stop at a gas station and I got to thinking... I called the school in Palm Springs and told them I couldn't make it after all... I realized I never really wanted to leave in the first place, so I... After I cancelled with the school, I turned around and came back... I went to a school around here like you mentioned this morning and applied for a teaching position... They said no one else has even shown interest, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get the job by the time school's back in session..." you murmured. Maxx sucked in a breath.

"So y're... Y'ain't leavin' after all...?" he asked you.

"Guess Sweetridge is still stuck with me..." you shrugged with another shy grin, "And I... I missed you..."

You were surprised when Maxx suddenly rushed forward, wrapping his arms around your waist. He lifted you off the ground as he hugged you tightly – much like he'd done when he won the rodeo. 

You'd spent the entire previous eight hours terrified that Maxx wouldn't react happily to hearing you were considering staying there permanently, especially since you'd already told him you were going to California anyway. You were worried he would be upset with you for whatever reason, and that he'd tell you to just go to the other job anyway and not come back. But he wasn't; Instead, he was ecstatic you were staying.

Your body finally relaxed as you returned the hug, melting into Maxx the way it always did when he touched you. You breathed in deeply for a few moments, just wanting to take him in and appreciate that you were back with him. Your face was buried in his neck so he could feel your breath against his skin, and it must have worried him.

"Y'okay, darlin'?" Maxx murmured.

"Just missed you," you whispered, feeling his stomach shake lightly as he chuckled.

"Y'were only gone for eight hours," he reminded you.

"You're a hard person not to miss," you replied, and a kiss was pressed to the side of your forehead.

"So are you, darlin'," he squeezed you, happy you were back in his arms.

~

inspiration: "Big Sky Country" on the Choices app