A Work of Art (Marcus Pike)

word count: 843
requested by: ​seasonschange-butpeopledont on tumblr
pronouns: she/her
warnings: none
fandom: the mentalist, pedro pascal
au type: regular
summary: maybe marcus should learn to tone it back when it comes to his rambling about art. no one wants to listen to that all the time, right?
inspired by: me beech!!!! (https://seasonschange-butpeopledont.tumblr.com/post/680470958751055872/baby-girl-you-know-we-gotta-have-some-thots-about)
authors notes: this is my first time writing for pedro fandom so pls be nice to me
other parts: none

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀

"Hi, baby! You look beautiful," your boyfriend beamed when you opened your apartment door, "Are you ready to go?" You smiled and nodded, walking into the hallway after locking the door behind you. You kissed his cheek before Marcus put his hand on your lower back to lead you out of the building.

"You finally gonna tell me where we're going?" you asked as he started his car and drove out of the parking lot.

"Well, I thought we could do dinner first and then go to the Van Gogh museum downtown."

"Don't you ever get tired of being around art all day?" you teased, making him smile. He reached over to put his hand on your leg, squeezing gently.

"I wouldn't be working with it all day if I didn't love it," he replied, "And what better way to spend an evening than sharing my love with my love?" You felt your face heat up – you were sure you'd always get that feeling when Marcus mentioned being in love with you – and placed your hand on top of his, rubbing his knuckles with your thumb.

Dinner with Marcus was never boring – something always seemed to happen during his day and he was always so eager to hear the gossip from your own job. He seemed more ready than usual to get out of the restaurant though – a suspicion confirmed when he immediately stood up after paying the check. You smiled softly to yourself, getting up with him and letting him lead you back to his car so you could get to the museum.

"So why the Van Gogh exhibit and not a museum with other artists?" you asked after paying admission and standing at the map, trying to decide where to begin.

"You know I've always loved his work," he said, making you nod, "And I haven't been here yet, so I wanted to come."

"You love his work so much but you've never been here?" you tsked, earning a chuckle.

"Art crimes take up more time than you think," he poked your side. You giggled, grabbing his hand to stop him.

"Well, where to first then?" you asked.

"How about we just start at the beginning?" he suggested, motioning toward the first room – the Starry Night display. You looked around in awe, marveling at how immersive it was when you were actually there rather than looking at pictures of it.

"Did you know Van Gogh thought this painting was a failure?" Marcus asked.

"He did? It's like, the only painting I know the name of!" you giggled.

"He thought it was too abstract," he nodded, "He didn't think it looked real enough and that people wouldn't like it." You hummed in detest, surprised at the fact, and continued walking.

"This is one of my favorites!" he gushed as you approached the Sunflower room, "Van Gogh was actually one of the very first artists to use this new yellow oil paint in his works!"

You smiled to yourself, finding it amusing how innocent and child-like Marcus became around art – especially art he loved. He spouted out a few more facts before tugging you along to the next painting – the real-life display of The Bedroom.

"This one is fascinating too," he began, "He flattened everything and forwent the shadows to make it look like a Japanese print. The back corner wasn't a mistake – it was the way it looked in real life, so that's...why he painted it...like that..."

Marcus found himself trailing off upon looking down at you, noticing your eyes scanning the scene you were standing in front of. Suddenly becoming insecure, he chewed on his inner cheek and decided to let you admire the display in peace. He knew he tended to ramble when it came to art – a fact that past girlfriends had not appreciated – so he just figured he'd keep his mouth shut for the time being.

Until you spoke up after a few moments of silence, that is.

Marcus felt you lift your head off of his arm, glancing over to find a frown on your face. He was about to ask you what was wrong, but you beat him to it.

"Why'd you stop?" you asked, the innocence in your voice making his heart skip a beat.

"I just... I was rambling again," he sighed, "I thought I'd let you enjoy it."

"I am enjoying it!" you assured him, squeezing his hand, "I love listening to you talk – especially when it's something you're passionate about."

Marcus watched you lay your head back onto his shoulder, a smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. No matter how many times you promised him you were having a good time, he always found himself grateful you were never upset or annoyed at his rants about the things he loved.

So he pressed a kiss to your temple and continued walking and telling you about the pieces, thinking to himself that he should really buy you a ring someday.

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀

i've never actually been to the exhibit so i'm sorry if the layout isn't right i tried ok!!!!!

info used for the paintings:
"The Starry Night": https://www.discoverwalks.com/blog/amsterdam/top-10-facts-about-the-starry-night-from-van-gogh/
"Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers": https://www.vincentvangogh.org/sunflowers.jsp
"The Bedroom": https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0047v1962