Whatever It Takes (Ashton Irwin)

there aren't enough police officer aus in the universe if u ask me

also i want u all to know that there is a lot of backstory to this and for that i am sorry

and i didn't proofread that well so hopefully there are no gaps lol

there's brief mention of death and kidnapping and stuff. it's not too rough and there are like no details or anything but i thought i'd just say it anyway just in case

~

God knows you didn't want everything to end up like this, but when your father is this delusional, what can you do?

Your dad wasn't always like this; He wasn't always a certified sociopath. In fact, up until about a year and a half ago, he was a pretty normal guy. But that all changed when his brother was killed.

You understood why it happened – your uncle escaped prison while serving a murder sentence and pulled a stolen gun on the cops. To be quite honest, you would have been surprised if he hadn't been shot. What you could say you were surprised with was the way your father reacted.

When your father had heard the news about your uncle's death, something inside him snapped. The man was set on getting revenge on the officer who had killed him. And apparently, that plan revolved heavily on you.

You didn't agree with it by any means, but you forced yourself to play along in his sick little game. Your father scared you, and you just wanted to make it to the next day without experiencing what you knew he'd do to you if you said no.

So that was how you met Ashton.

Ashton had been with the police department for a few years now, and an actual officer for about four. Although he knew his actions were justified in what happened with your uncle, he'd be lying if he said it made dealing with the fact that he'd taken someone else's life any easier.

You met Ashton after your father had gathered up enough intel – which basically meant he'd been stalking him for four weeks – to decipher that the officer always went to the same restaurant with his partner after work every Wednesday evening. He sent you in 'to get his attention' because, apparently, his plan of revenge lied heavily on you and Ashton starting to date. And, since you knew better than to disobey him, you forced yourself to go along with it.

You couldn't remember exactly how it happened, but you figured your best bet at that point was to find a way to 'accidentally' bump into him. So that was what you did, and the next thing you knew, you and Ashton had a date planned for that Saturday night.

And you lived with the guilt up until the day your father revealed his plans nearly one year into your relationship with Ashton.

Your father posed as a kidnapper holding you hostage in a warehouse downtown, calling Ashton's phone from your own. He demanded that the officer come alone without his weapon, and you felt your heart sink when Ashton agreed. And you were forced to wait the 20 agonizing minutes for him to arrive, only to have your whole world come crashing down in front of you when he did.

~

20 minutes later, you heard a car pull up outside. You honestly felt like you were going to throw up as the door opened and Ashton poked his head inside.

"Y/N!" he breathed a sigh of relief, hurrying over to where you were sitting in the middle of the empty room, "Are you okay?" He took your hands and pulled you to your feet, surprised he didn't find you tied up or anything. He looked at your face, finding your eyes welling up with tears. "C'mon, baby girl," he said, wiping your cheeks with his thumbs, "We have to get out of here." Ashton took your hand again and went to go back to the door, but you didn't move. "Baby-" he was cut off by your voice.