Better Off (Calum Hood) - Part 2 *

requested by bandshirthoarder

listen i was in love with this idea ok but also

Warning: Mentions of rape

~

Rumors were something expected in such a public setting – especially a school. Though, the rumors you'd heard in your last three years on campus were nothing more than 'did you hear who's dating who?' and 'I heard she's is taking her to winter formal'.

But this time... Well, it wasn't a rumor so much as a 100% fact.

You didn't believe it at first – sure, Landon was a dick, but surely he'd never do something so sick – but when Calum told you himself, you knew it wasn't just another bit of campus gossip.

It had started as just another game of beer pong at Calum's frat's party. You hadn't gone, insisting that you needed to stay in your room and finish writing the paper that was almost perfect. Things were going as they normally did at a college party: drunk people stumbling around the house, couples making out during games of spin the bottle, shouting over one another as a few people played video games together.

But the party took a turn when Calum found Landon literally dragging a passed-out girl up the stairs.

He asked what he was doing – obviously – and why he didn't just carry her if she needed to lie down. Landon ignored him, not even giving him a brief glance to acknowledge that he'd been spoken to. 

And Calum would be lying if he said he wasn't getting a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Calum called after him again, racing up the stairs after him and the girl. But as soon as he reached Landon's bedroom door, it was being slammed in his face and he heard the lock click right after.

He started banging on the door, telling Landon that if he did anything to that girl, he'd have hell to pay for it. He did everything he could to get inside – trying to pick the lock, trying to break the handle, and even trying to kick it down himself – but nothing was working.

And that was when he ran downstairs, ordered everyone out, and called the cops.

~

Two months later

You were sitting in the courtroom beside Calum, anxiously waiting for Landon's trial to start. He'd been charged with the rape of Michelle Carver, and you could only pray at that point that he wouldn't go free.

Calum's leg was bouncing up and down, his hands clasped in his lap tightly. He was really the only key witness for Michelle's defense, and he'd immediately agreed to testify against Landon on her behalf when her lawyer asked him to. Though, that didn't mean he wasn't nervous about it.

"Cal," you said softly, putting your hand on his knee to make it stop moving. He looked over at you, and you gave him the best reassuring smile you could muster. "It's gonna be fine," you shook your head, "You know what happened; You know what Landon did. There's no way the jury would let him go free."

"You don't know that," Calum whispered, "Landon's got a lot of money... His parents hired the best lawyer in the world for him for this case... Even if he does go to jail, he wouldn't be there for as long as he deserves..."

"I know, Cal," you sighed, your thumb rubbing his knee gently, "But Michelle's lawyer is good too. He's gonna fight for her, just like I know you will."