Reputation (Luke Hemmings) - Part 1 *

kinda similar to the premise of legally blonde???

Warnings: Mentions of murder/death, super brief moment of harassment

~

"I'm sure all of you have heard the news about the newest case the police department is working on," your criminal justice teacher, Professor Cortell, announced, "They've been kind enough to allow us to work alongside them, which means this will be the subject of your end-of-term papers. You all have the next four weeks to take notes on everything you've learned from the Luke Hemmings case, and compile it into a four-page paper. Here is a rubric of everything I expect from you, as well as all the components I'd like to see in your papers. We'll meet for our next class on Monday downtown at the police station so they can get us up to speed. Until then, enjoy your weekend."

Ah, the Luke Hemmings case.

Luke Hemmings had a reputation around campus for being... Well, an asshole. He looked like bad news and everyone acted like he was. But if you thought everyone talked bad about him before the police started talking to him, you were dead wrong.

Luke was the last person to see the cashier at a local gas station – Adrien Torres, if you remembered his name from the news coverage correctly – alive. Luke was seen at the gas station around the time Adrien was killed, but even then, you had your doubts about when it came to definitively saying he did it. From what was said on the news, you were inclined to believe that no one actually saw the murderer at all.

~

Week One

On that chilly Monday morning, you walked into the police station with your backpack, ready to get to work on Luke's case. You told the woman at the receptionist's desk you were there for class, and she directed you to the first conference room down the hall.

You entered the room to find Professor Cortell sitting on a chair off to the side while your classmates sat around a round table. You were apparently the last one to arrive, so your teacher immediately got started after you took your seat.

"Alright, everyone, listen up for a moment," the Professor stood up, "This is Officer Reede-" He motioned to the man in uniform beside him. "-and he'll be overseeing all of the work you do with the department. I'll also be here if you have any questions pertaining to your papers, but for the most part, you'll be working on this on your own with Officer Reede, alright?" You all nodded and he turned to the Officer. "Let's get started then," he went back to his chair as the man stood up.

Officer Reede introduced himself again, telling you what he did for the department and what you'd all be doing as well. He informed you of what was more sensitive evidence that you wouldn't be allowed to know – such as seeing security footage of the murder or the shell casings found at the crime scene – but other than that, he said he'd answer any questions you had about the case.

Your classmates asked a few questions here and there – what witness statements were, how they described the suspect, and if anyone noticed what he was driving – before you finally gained the courage to speak up yourself. You raised your hand shyly, prompting the Officer to acknowledge you.

"You have a question?" Officer Reede asked.

"Yeah..." you chewed on your inner cheek, "Was anyone there right when the victim was shot? Like... Did anyone actually see it happen?"

"I don't believe so," he answered, "The closest time anyone could give us was..." He trailed off, looking down at the case file. "...20 minutes before," he continued, looking back up at you, "One witness said they saw the suspect walking out at 1:49am."