Prompt Blurb #5: Ashton Irwin

prompt: "I changed the cat's name to Olivia Meowton-John"

this is written in ashton's pov ^-^  

~

Flashback

You and Ashton enjoyed going over to your parents' house on the weekends just to hang out. He made it no secret that he loved them – not more than his own mother, of course – and he was happy to visit whenever you suggested it. They made a big deal of it as well, insisting to make yours or Ashton's favorite meal each time. Ashton would always tell them not to – that he really didn't mind what they made for dinner – but if he'd learned anything since meeting them, it was that you definitely got your stubbornness from both of them.

It was one such Saturday – last weekend by this point – and your mom and dad had insisted on making Ashton's favorite this time. He would always tell them not to – that he really didn't mind what they made for dinner – but if he'd learned anything since meeting them, it was that you definitely got your stubbornness from both of them.

Your dad was outside on the back deck, cooking chicken on the grill. Your mom was at the stove heating up a can of your favorite vegetable while you were leaning back on the counter.

"Can you make sure this doesn't burn, dear?" your mom asked you. "I'd better go see if your dad needs any help."

"I'll do it!" Ashton chirped, hearing you and your mom laugh as he was already jogging out of the house. He closed the door behind him, making your dad look over. "Do you need any help, sir?"

"Ash, I've told you multiple times to call me Y/Dad's/N," your dad chuckled, "Did my wife send you out here?"

"No, I offered," he smiled shyly, "I just... Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, son, what is it?"

"Well, you know my father hasn't really been part of my life, and I... I was wondering... How did you know you wanted to marry Y/Mom's/N?"

Your dad looked at Ashton again to find him nervously playing with his fingers. He smiled slightly, knowing there was only one reason he would be asking him that question.

"You gonna marry my daughter?" he asked.

"If she'll let me," Ashton let out a breathy laugh.

"My wife and I could tell the moment Y/N brought you out to meet us that she'd be more than happy to spend the rest of her life with you, Ash," he assured him, "But to be fair, I think you already know you want to marry her."

"I know, but... I don't want to end up like my father."

"Ashton, you are nothing like your father," your dad said firmly, "Every single moment you're staying with Y/N is a moment you could have walked away, but you're still there for her. Yeah, there have been nights where she'd call her mom crying after a fight or she'd come over when she doesn't want to be alone while you're away, but none of that has ever affected how much she loves you. You always go back to each other and I don't think you really understand how thankful her mother and I are that she met you when she did. You're everything she's ever needed and everything a father hopes his daughter will find." Ashton smiled shyly before looking back up at him.

"How do I ask her to marry me?" he asked, "I know she doesn't like really extravagant things, but I can't just do nothing."

"I asked Y/Mom's/N to marry me the moment she woke up one morning," your dad shrugged, "Her hair was a mess and she still had some drool on the side of her mouth-" Your dad chuckled at the memory. "-but she was still the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen and I knew in that exact moment that I had to ask her to marry me – so I did. She insists to this very day that I should have waited until she at least wiped her face, but she still said yes; She still cried and kissed me and told me she loved me a hundred times. My point is you'll know when the moment is right," he told Ashton, "But don't worry yourself with the possibility that she'll say no; She won't. She loves you too much."

End flashback

~

It had now been a week since then, and Ashton was still trying to find the right moment to ask you to marry him. He knew it was a big question and it was going to be nerve-wracking to ask; He just didn't think he would chicken out so many times.

You and Ashton were in bed one night before going to sleep. You were both sitting up against the headboard – you were on your computer playing The Sims 4 while Ashton was on his phone. It was silent for the most part – the only sounds being your clicking and Ashton's occasional yawn – before you finally disturbed the silence.

"Ash, look at this!" you said. Ashton leaned over, letting his chin rest on your shoulder, as you pointed to your screen, your mouse hovered over your cat in the game. "I changed the cat's name to Olivia Meowton-John!" you giggled. You felt him smile into where his cheek was pressed to your neck.

"You're a goof," he giggled as well as he sat back upright, "Marry me."

You simply smiled as Ashton shifted slightly, reaching into the drawer on his nightstand. You didn't look over, however, until he cleared his throat, obviously trying to get your attention.

When you did, your heart stopped and your breath got caught in your throat. Your eyes flicked between Ashton's face and the shiny diamond ring he was holding between his fingers. He grinned softly at the look of shock on your face.

"Wasn't just sayin' it," he practically whispered, feeling his heart beating throughout every inch of his body, "Will you marry me?"

Before Ashton could even think that you were going to reject him, you had already carefully tossed your computer off to the side and threw the blanket off of your legs. You turned to Ashton, climbing onto his lap so you were straddling his thighs and throwing your arms around his neck. He breathed out sharply as he hugged you back, sighing when he felt your hand on the back of his head so you could tangle your fingers in his hair.

"S'a yes, right?" he murmured into your skin, pressing kiss after kiss to your shoulder and neck.

"Y-Yes," you choked out a sob, squeezing him tightly.

~

inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36S6ncDGqM

prompt used from this list: http://marshmallowtraver.tumblr.com/post/179751444014/prompt-list-of-things-my-best-friend-has