Holiday Cheer (Calum Hood) - Part 6

One week later; New Year's Eve

You groggily walked down the hallway and into the kitchen where your mom and brother were already sitting at the counter. Your feet padded onto the hardwood floor, making the two look over at the entry to see you.

"Hi, sweetheart," your mom said soothingly, "How are you feeling?" She'd asked you this every day since Calum left, and while you appreciated the concern, the question was getting a little old.

"Been better," you answered honestly, your voice raspy from that being the first time you'd spoken that day.

"Well, I say good riddance," Dylan mumbled.

"Dylan," your mother warned.

"It's true!" he insisted, "He was a jerk this whole time even though Y/N tried to make him feel welcome! I'm not surprised he took off like a coward!"

"Yeah..." you whispered, more to yourself than to either of your family members.

"How about we change the subject, huh?" your mom suggested, "Who's excited for tonight's New Year's Eve party?" You finally cracked a smile.

"Definitely me," your expression brightened up a bit, "If there's one thing this town knows how to do, it's throw a party."

"Got that right," Dylan toasted his glass of orange juice, making you all laugh.

"Well, we still have a little bit before then," your mom said, "Do you want some breakfast, honey?"

"No, thank you," you shook your head, "Holly texted me saying she wanted to meet me at Stacey's, so I'm just gonna eat something there." You looked over at the clock on the microwave. "Oh, and I better get going," you said, "She'll be there any minute."

"Bye, sweetheart! Have fun!" she called after you as you hurried out the door.

~

You breathed in the scent of freshly brewed coffee and maple syrup as you entered the diner, smiling slightly to yourself. Since you didn't see Holly anywhere, you plopped down on a barstool at the counter and ordered yourself a donut and hot chocolate while you waited.

About halfway through your breakfast, the door to the diner opened. You then heard a sharp squeal of excitement, but before you could look over your shoulder to see what was going on, a pair of arms were thrown around your neck from behind.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" you heard Holly's voice in your ear.

"You're welcome!" you laughed lightly before letting it fade as she released you. You tilted your head in confusion, "What did I do again?"

"You convinced your boss to publish my book!" she replied giddily, sitting on the stool beside you. You looked at her in shock for a moment before shaking it off.

"Yes... Yes!" you exclaimed, "Right! I did do that!"

"You're my hero, Y/N!" she breathed sharply, "I promise, you're gonna get the first copy when they're finally printed! Well... I mean... I'll be getting the first copy, but then I'm gonna give it to you!"

"Only if you autograph it first," you grinned at her.

"Only if you promise not to sell it on eBay," she shoved your arm playfully.

"Never," you giggled, throwing your arms around her for another hug.

"Thank you," she sighed, squeezing you, "I couldn't have done it without your help."