Don't Start Now (Michael Clifford) - Part 1

word count: 1697
requested by: none
warnings: none
au type: neighbors
summary: your neighbor invites you along to the local fair with him and his bandmates, but it seems like he's starting to regret it when another friend catches your interest
inspired by: @thegirlwhocriedhelemtboy (http://thegirlwhocriedhelemtboy.tumblr.com/post/140239310597/boy-next-door-calum-hood-imagine)
authors notes: i'm posting this to motivate myself to finish part 2 sooner. will it work??? unlikely. but here we are anyway.

❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀・・・❀ 

You were absentmindedly tapping your foot along to the beat of the drums across the street, waiting for your best friend to arrive. You were looking at your phone, occupying yourself since you couldn't text Maria as she was driving, but you noticed out of the corner of your eye that the boy sitting at the drum kit – Ashton if you remembered correctly – in the garage across the street looked at you when the song came to an end. The other three then looked over their shoulders, but you didn't let it bother you – you were sure they just thought it was strange that you were sitting outside as it wasn't common for you.

It was then that you heard a car driving down the street, making your head snap up. The boys were still looking at you, chuckling when you squealed loudly and jumped up. You were bouncing on your feet, watching as Maria pulled into your driveway. She smiled widely as she got out of the car while you squealed again, running over.

She met you at the edge of the driveway, not even bothering to close her car door yet, and you nearly tackled her to the ground. Your arms were around her neck and she hugged your waist, both of you happy to see each other after nearly 5 months.

"Not that I'm not totally excited to see you or anything, but who are your super hot neighbors with the instruments and why are they watching us?" Maria asked softly despite the fact that the boys wouldn't have been able to hear her anyway.

"Only the one on the left is my neighbor – the one with the guitar," you clarified, "The others are his friends. And I don't know why they're watching."

"Maybe they're thinking it's a miracle you're actually outside." You laughed loudly, shoving her arm before she reached back into her car to grab her bag.

Maria opened the trunk of her car and you got her suitcase. She locked the car after you closed the trunk and walked with you to your front door. Before you opened the door, you turned around since you knew the boys were still watching.

"You guys sound really good!" you hollered.

"Thank you!" the drummer called back, making you smile and lead your friend inside your house.

~

Two hours later

"Are those guys still outside?" Maria asked randomly. You looked out the window, nodding your head when you saw them. "Well, I think we should go say hi!" she chirped.

"Okay..." you trailed off, cocking an eyebrow at her, "Why?"

"Have you introduced yourself to them yet?"

"Yes," you scoffed, "My mum and I have had dinner with Michael's family every Saturday since we moved here."

"So you guys are practically best friends then!" she smirked, "Why don't we go over so you can introduce me?"

"And why would I do that?" you rolled your eyes.

"Because I'm going to be here all summer," she sighed longingly, "And I just think it would be nice to hang out with other people too on occasion."