Chapter 25

*Suzanna's P.O.V*

I noticed that Queen Seraphina seemed to be drifting in and out of the conversations for the rest of the day. I clearly wasn't the only one as Draya kept changing the conversation when she noticed what was going on.

It was after dinner that Queen Seraphina ended up just disappearing. As soon as she finished eating she was out of the room, the door shutting with a soft click. The sound echoed in the silence and it was almost deafening how quiet it was.

"Is she okay?" I asked, my brows furrowing in concern as I stared at the door. Pandora's nails gently tapped on the table as she finished the bite she had just taken.

"She needs time alone sometimes, it's been like this since Theron died and she only got worse when Malik passed. Losing your husband and son within weeks of each other is not something you can just get over," Pandora answered.

"Maybe if you love your husband, didn't shed a tear when your father died," Draya said with a small smirk on her lips.

"Still under investigation for that?" Captain Orion asked, catching Pandora's elbow when she tried to elbow him.

"I was cleared of that years ago, still under investigation for your father's business?" Draya retorted as she crossed her arms.

"Do you always argue?" I asked as I looked between the two. Pandora was massaging the bridge of her nose in exasperation.

"You two always manage to make the conversation about you," Pandora said as she shook her head slightly. "Seraphina just needs time to herself, she gets overwhelmed being surrounded by people all the time," she informed me.

"Oh okay," I nodded my head as I started to pick at my food. I mulled over what Pandora said for a moment before I frowned. Queen Seraphina didn't seem like the type to want to be alone. She seemed to be the type to be silent but she never seemed to want to be alone.

I looked towards her seat, frowning when I saw the teddy bear bracelet sitting next to her plate. I looked down at my own, gently touching it with a small huff. I stood up, moving to grab it.

"I' m done, I'm just going to go do other things now," I said as I picked up the bracelet, my fingers curling around it protectively.

"You haven't finished eating," Pandora objected and I turned to face her.

"I'm full," I answered it simply as I shrugged. She frowned, her eyes looking from me to my plate.

"With what you told me today, forgive me for being skeptical," Pandora said. I frowned at her words, a small pout on my lips.

"What'd she tell you," Captain Orion asked, oblivious to the tension in the room.

"It was an A and B conversation, C your way out of my business," Pandora said as she rolled her eyes. I snorted at her words, slowly backing towards the door.

"Do you often try to sneak away when people aren't paying attention to you?" Draya asked as she took a sip of her wine. I huffed when Pandora looked at me, throwing my head back dramatically.

"I'll finish later, okay? Bye," I said as I spun around, walking out of the door before anyone could say anything. I took a deep breath to clear my mind as I tried to figure out where to start my search for Queen Seraphina. It hit me all at once where she would probably be and I followed the familiar path to the portrait room.

Just like I thought, the door was cracked the slightest bit and I carefully opened the door. I slipped inside the room, letting the door shut quietly behind me. I made my way over to where Queen Seraphina was kneeling in front of the portraits, sitting next to her.

"You left your bracelet," I whispered as I held out the bracelet. Queen Seraphina seemed startled at first and she carefully took it, slipping it onto her wrist.

"I apologize my dear, I hadn't realized I had taken it off. I thought I had taken off my other one," Queen Seraphina said as she showed me the other bracelet on her wrist. It was a simple bracelet, covered in thin crystals.

I noticed that Queen Seraphina was having a hard time tying the bracelet back into place and I reached over, gently tying it for her. Her other hand removed her veil as she lifted her hand to cup my face.

"You're such a sweet girl," she said as her thumb gently brushed along my cheek. I leaned into her touch as she met my gaze, tears shining in her eyes. "Y'know I love you right? My darling girl, my daughter," she whispered as she leaned forward, pressing a kiss to my forehead.

I felt my heart ache for her and I couldn't bring myself to object to her words. She was already distraught and I simply couldn't stand the idea of further upsetting her. I rested my head on her shoulder before she leaned back.

I scooted closer, resting my head on her shoulder as she gently rubbed my back. I stared up at the portraits on the wall, feeling the two men in the portraits staring down at us.

"Do you think they're watching over you?" I questioned softly as I twisted my bracelet nervously.

"It's what I've always believed, do you believe that as well?" Queen Seraphina asked.

"Sometimes but sometimes I feel like I've been abandoned," I muttered, feeling head resting against my own.

"Oh sweet Suzanna, you'll never be abandoned as long as I'm around," Queen Seraphina said with a wistfulness. "If I didn't have you, I think I'd lose my mind," she murmured to herself. It may have been that she thought I couldn't hear her or that she didn't care but the words sent shivers down my spine.

It looks like I was going to be stuck here for a long time. At least I could give Pandora hell in the meantime but I didn't know how long I was going to last here. I never planned on staying here for the rest of my life.