Ch 14

Michael glanced at Alice who was at the cash register from behind the shelf. He was arranging things in the food sect, quite pitiful. Several times Michael peeked at what the girl was doing—of course serving paying customers.

The events of that night couldn't help but make Michael a little suspicious now (thanks to Ennard too).

He took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, placing the last of the food in the remaining empty spot on the shelf. Then Michael scoffed at his watch—there were still two hours before the end of work. He could definitely survive, after all he didn't work a full day so without Ennard it wouldn't be a problem.

Wanting to turn around and go to another part of the store to tidy things up, Michael didn't notice someone standing behind him and he accidentally bumped into the man—making himself gasp in surprise and then sway, but was restrained by the man in front of him.

It had made Michael a little horrified because it reminded him of Ennard's habits.

"Are you okay?"

Michael nodded quickly. "I'm fine—" Michael stopped, his eyes widening for a moment before squinting at the man standing in front of him. He seemed to know this person ...

Of course.

"Mark?"

The man looked confused. "How did you know my name?" he asked in surprise.

Michael felt the corners of his lips pull up, but he thought back to the past and Michael frowned deeply. "It's me," Michael said, finally choosing to braze a lopsided smile. "Michael."

Mark's eyes widened. "As in Michael Afton!?"

Mark's shocked exclamation made Michael flinch and immediately covered Mark's mouth with both hands. "Can you just—keep your voice down?!" Michael hissed lowly in annoyance, he glanced briefly at Alice; the girl turned to look at him with a raised eyebrow and Michael grinned, grateful in his heart when Alice returned to her work.

Mark took his hand and removed it from the man's own mouth, Michael turned to his old friend. "Are you really Michael? That fox mask?" Mark asked to make sure, this time his tone was calmer and quieter.

"Who else?" Michael shrugged, wiping his palms against his pants. "You, me, Alec and Simon," Michael said with a small smile.

"Oh ... so you really are Mike."

"Yes."

They exchanged glances with each other, until Mark ended it by glancing the other way and Michael looking down.

Okay, this is getting awkward.

"How are you?" Michael didn't really know what to say, small talk was the only way.

Mark smiled slightly at him, and Michael was embarrassed. "I'm fine. How about you? We didn't have time to communicate again after ... you know." Mark shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck gently.

Michael's brows knit together, he understood the meaning of Mark's snippet. "I'm doing fine," Michael answered simply. With a burnt spaghetti, Michael added inwardly.

"Good," Mark responded gently, taking Michael's hand and holding it.

Michael was nervous, he quickly pulled his hand back from Mark's, and braided a clumsy smile. "I ... have to get back to work—see you later!"

Without waiting for Mark's reply, Michael ran straight into the shop's bathroom and shut the door tightly. Michael blinked a few times, processing what had just happened. He had just met one of his old friends, his ex-lover. Michael didn't know what to feel.

Angry and longing at the same time—don't think anything weird of it, he misses him as a close friend.

Michael scowled in annoyance. "Shit," he said, then a 'hmp' sounded.

Not wanting to spend too long in the toilet, Michael decided to come out after smoothing the collar of his shirt. He walked towards the front of the building through the corridor, so when he turned right, Alice stepped in the opposite direction.

"Is there a problem, Mike?" Alice asked confusedly, and Michael immediately shook his head with a small smile.

"Nope."

Alice raised her eyebrows up. "Then who was that person?"

Understanding who Alice meant, Michael let out a small breath. "My old friend," Michael replied. "The last time I saw him was probably ten or eleven years ago," Michael continued as he recalled. He went to a different high school with his three friends if he's not mistaken.

"Oh," Alice responded, then nodded in understanding. "Alright." The girl smiled at Michael, then brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "You want to come home with me later?"

Michael's brow furrowed. "Don't ... you live here?"

Alice laughed. "Of course not, idiot. I live in an apartment, my mother also lives elsewhere because of her job, so I take care of the shop," Alice explained briefly, Michael rounded his mouth hearing that.

"I don't think so." Michael declined subtly, smiling guiltily at Alice.

"Why?"

Michael pressed his lips together. "My house—super messy."

Alice rolled her eyes and chuckled. "I don't care, Mike."

"Anyway not." The Afton shook his head. "It's okay, no need to trouble yourself," Michael said, waving his hand. Alice looked disappointed, but Michael paid no heed to that—why did this girl want so much to know where he lived?

"In that case, okay."

Michael nodded at the answer. "Talk later," said Michael, walking away from Alice.

Alice's smile made him slightly uncomfortable.