Ch 97

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

They arrived at their destination city at around four in the morning. He didn't sleep at all the whole trip unlike Michael, Thomas spoke to him occasionally but he chose not to answer, the scenery outside caught his attention more than chatting with the man. They began to enter the area he knew very well, waking Michael in front of him quickly while his gaze was still glued out the window.

"Good morning, Michael," Thomas said when Michael finally opened his eyes and blinked a little. "We've arrived."

"Oh really?" Michael looked forward and squinted, then he turned to Thomas a little troubled. "We should have taken turns driving, but I fell asleep instead," he said feeling guilty, but Thomas just chuckled.

"Don't worry, you seem tired and you gave me a ride anyway so I should at least help out." Thomas gave Michael a small smile, as if hinting that Michael didn't need to think about that. In the end Michael nodded slowly before letting out a breath, while the corners of Ennard's eyes twitched in annoyance. "By the way, where do you want to park?"

Michael seemed to think for a moment, then he looked back—intending to ask Ennard for help. Michael raised both eyebrows curiously seeing Ennard just snort and look away from him. What was wrong with him? Michael frowned, before he decided to turn to Thomas again. "There's a convenience store that just opened in this area," Michael announced as he looked around. "We can park behind the store, I'll show you the way."

Thomas drove according to Michael's direction, occasionally Ennard glanced at the two of them and glanced back outside, continuing like that until they arrived at the convenience store. The convenience store where Michael and Lucy used to work. Considering that parking at the store was public, it wouldn't be a problem to park their car in the back. The car engine was turned off, he opened the car door and got out first from Michael and Thomas, for a moment he stretched hid body.

Ennard turned around, watching the two of them climb out of the car a moment later. Thomas handed Michael the car key afterwards, before the man seemed thoughtful as Michael put the key in his trouser pocket. Ennard squinted sharply, Thomas didn't do anything but that didn't mean he was any less suspicious. At least he was glad this was their farewell to Thomas.

"Michael," Thomas called the eldest Afton, distracting Michael's attention. Thomas talked again before Michael could ask. "Are you having issue with something?"

The question startled Michael, he tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

Feeling something was wrong, Ennard stepped closer to Michael and stared at Thomas seriously. Thomas put one hand on his waist and the other gently stroked the nape of his neck, his eyes moving sideways. "Remembering when your boyfriend suspected me at the petrol station," Thomas paused and completely ignored Ennard and Michael who both frowned at that, "it looks like you two are in trouble."

Michael pursed his lips together, he glanced at Ennard, at which Ennard glanced back at him. For obvious reasons, of course they couldn't tell Thomas. "I don't think—I can answer that, Thomas." Michael winced a little, he was getting nervous.

"No problem," Thomas replied casually and shrugged his shoulders. "You guys seem to be on the run."

Ennard immediately growled and pulled Michael to stand behind him quickly. "Who are you?"

Thomas raised his hands to shoulder level right away and stepped back while putting on a faint smile. "Calm down, Ennard, I won't hurt you," Thomas said, though he knew the red-haired man wouldn't believe him so easily. "It's okay if you don't trust me, that's normal and understandable. It's just that I'm sensitive to my surroundings. My job is dangerous, I know quickly what trouble you guys might be getting into. Therefore, I want to help you two, that's all."

Ennard gritted his teeth, his gaze sharpening. "Bullshit."

"It's true!" Thomas replied quickly. "I can help you take off the plates, they're usually the slick ones and can track you through these plates." Thomas glanced at the car license plates for a moment. "If you guys also have the car cover, it'll be even more useful once we've removed the license plates." Thomas smiled.

Ennard was about to reply back, but Michael tugged at the hem of his shirt from behind. He turned his head, looking at Michael who just nodded reassuringly at him. Before long, Ennard rubbed his face in exasperation. "Fine, but I'll be watching you, Zachary, and if I find you doing anything ..."

"No need to worry," Thomas cut him off and laughed. "You can sue me if I do something." He walked to the trunk of the car and asked Michael to come closer, intending to borrow the car key again to open the trunk.

He watched Michael walked towards Thomas, reaching into his pocket for his keys before handing them to the man. Thomas smiled briefly at Michael for a moment, then loaded the trunk of the car and his smile widened to find tools he could use. Michael drew closer curiously, peering into the trunk with interest. And Ennard kept staring, watching Thomas telling Michael to take the car cover and put it outside.

Of course, Michael did it happily, and for the umpteenth time it irritated him to see Michael fling a grin at Thomas briefly before the two resumed chatting.

"You can wait there while I take down the license plates," Thomas said afterward, his eyes glancing at Ennard briefly.

"But I want to help you."

"Sweet, but not necessary. It would be quicker if I did it myself—I don't mean to belittle you, of course, Michael. However, I have to catch up on my schedule. I'm pretty busy." The man smiled playfully at Michael, and in the end, Michael nodded in agreement. He moved his hand toward Michael, intending to tap Michael on the shoulder—someone suddenly grabbed his wrist and pulled him. He seemed surprised by that, so did Michael, while Ennard still gave him a glare. "You're so protective of Michael, Ennard," Thomas said in impressed tone. "Are you sure you two are just friends?"

Ennard gave a small snort and released his grip on Thomas roughly. "I don't trust you, not even around him," he said, though he himself was surprised he would suddenly do this. Thomas just laughed in response.

Michael blinked in confusion, glancing at Ennard with an inexplicable expression. "Enn—"

"Shut up, Benedict."

After that he raised his eyebrows at Ennard who looked away from him and stepped away again. It was still dark around him, but he could see the man's face slowly turning red.