Ch 65

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

Lucy saw her today.

When she was on her way to the supermarket for work and had to pass by Mary's house. The girl's figure appeared from the outside, seen from the window of the house, she was talking to her friend.

Just a glance Lucy watched because she didn't want either of them to notice her presence, then Lucy ran towards the supermarket.

Until now her feelings were uncertain, Lucy wasn't too focused on work. Lucy took a deep breath and walked away from the shelf she had just tidied up to the other shopping section. Lucy furrowed her brows as she walked over, her eyes lowered and she seemed to be deep in thought.

"Lucy?"

A call from someone made her flinch for a moment, she found Mike in front of her looking confused. "What's wrong?" the man then asked.

Lucy shook her head slightly. "Nothing's wrong."

Lucy's answer made Michael frowned, he was skeptical of the answer. Michael tilted his head. "Is something bothering you?" He asked the question again.

"Nothing at all, Mike."

Michael could catch a small twitch in the corner of Lucy's eyes, he wanted to ask again but it seemed Lucy wasn't in a good mood, so he decided to give up and nodded, then thought of another topic. "By the way, can I come to your house later?"

"What for?" Lucy raised her eyebrows curiously.

"Well, you know the still unfinished machine thingy in my house?"

Lucy tried to remember, she seemed to have seen it at Mike's house several times. Then she nodded. Mike scowled afterward. "Can I put it in your house first? Ennard keeps insisting to continue it."

"What's wrong with that?" Lucy asked confused. "He just wants to help, doesn't he?"

"But I don't want to be helped!"

"Okay, okay I understand there's no need to throw a tantrum."

The purple eyed man looked irritated, Lucy chuckled in response before looking around them to check things out. At first nothing was strange, Lucy didn't pay much attention anymore until she heard the supermarket's automatic sliding doors open and the figure of the girl that haunted her mind stepped inside.

Lucy widened her eyes, without any warning she grabbed Mike by the collar and dragged him quickly to leave where they were standing now. She didn't care that Mike looked so shocked and rebellious, but Lucy bluffed and forced him to be quiet until they reached the supermarket storage building.

"What the hell was that?!" Mike rubbed the collar of his work uniform which was a little worn from being pulled by Lucy, but Lucy's serious look made him nervous.

"You'd better not work here anymore."

Mike looked startled. "But why ...?"

"Mary have probably recovered and going back to work," Lucy replied, for a moment she could catch the frown on Mike's forehead and she could imagine what he was thinking.

"You replaced me with Mary?"

To be honest, Lucy couldn't bear to hear Mike's sad tone of voice.

"No—that's not the only reason," Lucy said resignedly and rubbed the back of her neck in confusion as to how she'd explained this to Mike. "It's just—anyway you hurry home now! By a detour."

"But why?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

"Because you didn't tell me the reason!"

Mike was right.

Lucy groaned in annoyance and was about to pull her hair out in frustration. "I'll tell you at my place later!"

The man in front of her tilted his head. "Promise?"

"I promise, Mike."

"Okay."

The girl smiled a little and patted Mike's head cheerfully as if Mike was an innocent child. Mike seems to like it, though. "Come tomorrow, and remember—by a detour. Now go back to your house, I'll make up the reason why you came home early."

Mike nodded and quickly did as he was told, then left their place by jumping through the open window. Lucy seemed worried for Mike on the way home, but she was sure Mike would be fine.

If she kept the girl here a little longer.

Lucy came out of the warehouse as if nothing had happened at all and put on a friendly face while greeting a few shoppers who happened to pass by her. She was going to continue arranging things in the supermarket window until someone came up to him, Lucy already knew who.

"Miss Dawson!"

Her name was called, Lucy turned and smiled. "What a coincidence, Clark," Lucy said, trying not to sound strange in her tone. "You need something? I'll find it for you."

"Actually, Mary told me to buy some stuff and she's written it down." Alice took something out of her trouser pocket, while Lucy glanced anxiously in secret; it was a small piece of paper and did contain the things Mary needed.

Lucy took the paper and read it for a moment. "You want me to help you find all this?" Lucy offered while grinning, she could catch Alice's cheerful face.

"Thanks!"

"Not a big problem."

All she had to do now was buy some time in finding the list for Alice and making sure Mike got home on time.