Ch 48

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

Ennard looked at the clock on the wall to check the time; almost two in the morning. Looks like he's been off for too long, the last thing he remembers was that it was still in the evening and he was arguing with Afton as usual.

However, since his long sleep, he had noticed the change in Michael's demeanour.

Michael rarely started fights now, though they still had occasional sneers at each other, other than that there was nothing else to spark a new argument. He was also more cheerful than before, more energetic, for some reason he didn't know why. Michael smiled too many times, his grin as if it was fixed all the time.

Between happy to get money or just high for something.

The changes were kind of obvious, it was easy to notice.

The Michael he used to know was the Eggs Benedict who was hot-tempered and very mean. Hatred was always etched in his purple eye. Cold expression and explosive emotions. Always provoke debate.

But now?

Michael could jump happily at him while saying something that didn't even important at all.

He was at a loss to adapt to this new characteristic.

Even so, hearing Afton's eldest laugh was actually rather fun. Ennard didn't know why, but he liked it.

(Obviously Ennard would never admit that.)

Or maybe being left by him for too long made Michael lose his sanity a little.

That must be it.

Ennard stared at the endoskeleton that Michael hadn't continued at all. Michael kept procrastinating on it, and always reasoned when he told him to get back on the endoskeleton. Ennard didn't understand why Michael was always procrastinating, he was sure Michael already knew how to make it and he thought Michael would be more excited considering Michael was so passionate about working on the framework in past.

And now Michael is busying himself with another discovery that Ennard doesn't want to admit (again) is quite interesting.

Ennard walked slowly towards the room that now seemed to be shared by the two of them, his wires moving to push open the slightly ajar door. Ennard frowned to find Afton still awake, focused on the illusion disc on the table.

"Insomnia again, Benedict?" he said mockingly, but Michael only replied with a soft chuckle.

"Not really."

Ennard hated his calm voice.

"Actually, I feel sleepy but my mood says I have to finish this first."

Ennard hated his wide grin and warm gaze.

"Then you finally woke up too, sleeping princess."

Ennard hated his contempt but not serious tone.

"Chubby."

"Hey!"

When Michael puffed out his cheeks at him in annoyance and mumbled incoherently, his hatred grew even more.

"Stop doing that."

Michael's brow furrowed at Ennard's words. "Do what? I didn't do anything." He tilted his head in confusion. "Unless you mean to work on this disc, I won't stop even if morning comes. I must—" Michael didn't continue because of a small gasp as Ennard walked quickly to him and gripped his wrist tightly until he dropped the screwdriver.

"You're so annoying," Ennard snarled, Michael raising his eyebrows curiously. "Always push yourself. Just stop."

That wasn't what he wanted to tell Michael.

The corners of Michael's lips pulled up, Ennard was starting to feel awkward. "Are you worried, Enn?" Michael teased him, as he had expected.

"No!" Ennard exclaims in annoyance, he releases Michael's hand roughly and takes a few steps back while Michael holds back his laughter. "Never! I don't even give a shit about you!"

"Yeah, sure." Michael chuckled softly. "By the way, Ennard, I just bought a box of soda and I'm putting it in the kitchen if you want to drink it."

The animatronic's eyes narrowed at Michael. "I thought you wanted to save your money."

For a few moments Michael didn't say anything, only staring at Ennard with an inexplicable look before his eyes darted off in another direction. "I thought you were still mad that Lucy came in here, so ... well." Michael shrugged his shoulders and his gaze returned to Ennard slowly. "Think of it as my apology. I'm sorry."

Ennard stunned and was at a loss for words, looking at Michael in disbelief. Michael seemed to mean it and sincerely said that, and Ennard felt embarrassed. Ennard's eyebrows seemed to knit together while Ennard's demeanour showed that he was between nervous and uncomfortable.

"You did it again."

This time Michael's brows were knitted together because he didn't understand. "Doing what anyway? I didn't even do anything, literally."

But Ennard didn't answer.

Michael blinked confusedly because Ennard just walked out of the room and slammed the door loudly. Michael's lips pursed, his shoulders slumped down.

"Is he still angry ...?"