Ch 33

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

Morning came quickly, Michael was surprised he actually fell asleep.

There were no dreams in his sleep, only empty black. That was enough for Michael, somewhat relieved to finally be able to rest his body even if only for a few short hours after days of insomnia. At least that's an improvement, right?

Michael tossed the blanket over him—he didn't remember him wearing the blanket last night, only remembers him lying on the floor after scribbling on the paper, then having a little argument with Ennard ...

"Just imagine I won't be with you this morning when you wake up and that's enough to make you have sweet dreams."

Michael gasped.

He stood up quickly and looked around the room.

There is no Ennard.

"Enn?" Michael called softly while looking up, maybe Ennard was in the vent and would be out soon.

Ten seconds.

Twenty seconds.

Half a minute.

One minute.

Ennard never came.

Michael was getting panicked. "Ennard?" he called for the second time to make sure, but still there was no sign of Ennard answering. "Enn, where are you?" Michael stepped out after almost slamming the bedroom door, he went down the hall. "Ennard? Ennard!"

One by one he opened the door of every room to find the whereabouts of the animatronic, and the result was always the same; Ennard wasn't there.

Michael ran into the back garden, the only place he hadn't checked at all, his hopes starting to dwindle. The kitchen doorknob almost slipped off the handle as a frantic Michael turned it too fast and immediately started running again. Michael panted, but his gaze wandered to the corners of the back garden.

Flowers, flowers, flowers, weeds, trees, bushes, flowers, weeds, Ennard.

"Ennard!" Michael screamed in exasperation from where he was standing.

The animatronic he had been looking for was here, sitting under a tree leisurely, turning his head to him in confusion.

"What's wrong with you? It's like you're being chased by a ghost."

If only Ennard had known his slur made him feel a little relieved.

But it was true, his clothes were wrinkled and a little wet because he was sweating after going all over the house, from the living room to the attic, just looking for this damn bastard. Breathing raggedly, Michael stared intently at Ennard.

"Where have you been?"

Ennard seemed to be frowning. "Here."

"I was looking for you everywhere!"

"You were looking for me?"

Michael stuttered, he took a step back while his eyes darted in all directions to avoid Ennard's questioning gaze. "Because—because I'm afraid you're stupid enough to be out walking around here!" Michael's face slowly turned red.

"Yeah, sure." Ennard gave a small snort, Michael puffed out his cheeks in annoyance. Then Ennard got to his feet, and Michael stepped back even more. "I will deactivate myself."

"Pardon?"

Ennard looked at Michael lazily. "You slept quite well last night, didn't you? Then tonight you too will be able to fall asleep, because that's no reason for me to stay up in the middle of the night. I'll be off for a few days," Ennard said as he walked past the eldest Afton, but halfway through he suddenly stopped and looked back, Michael looking back. "And don't disturb me."

"You assume very badly of me."

Ennard was indifferent. "Who knows you will miss me then bother me to be active again soon."

"I?" Michael pointed to himself. "Miss you? Hah! I won't! Just watch, I will not miss you!" His voice was both disbelieving and arrogant.

"Just saying."

Michael puffed his cheeks again as he watched Ennard enter the house.

He wouldn't miss that damn bastard.