Ch 78

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

Ennard had guessed where Michael might be. Easy to find, actually. He saw Michael sitting alone from the cemetery entrance, staring blankly at a gravestone. His eyes were swollen again, probably from the constant crying.

He decided not to go in and wait outside the cemetery, whether it would take him a long time or not. He thought Michael really needed to be alone right now, but he'd be on his guard. Occasionally he glanced, Michael still feel at home there, the flower had withered. Then Michael rubbed the gravestone slowly, before hiding his face between his bent knees up to his chest. His body was shaking.

No matter how strong his desire to approach the eldest Afton was, Ennard restrained himself. He took a deep breath and glanced the other way. This area was pretty deserted, considering that there wouldn't be many people visiting the cemetery. Ennard took a can of coffee he had bought while searching for Michael, then took a sip.

"Enn?"

The red-haired man turned around immediately at the sound of his name being called—he didn't realize Michael had walked out of that place, since when anyway? Michael was in rather bad shape; this reminded him of the times when they were enemies, Michael was always tired during those times.

"Here." He threw a can of milk at Michael who caught it in surprise. "You look pathetic."

Michael just smiled crookedly hearing that, then he sat next to Ennard while staring at the milk can in his hand. "Thanks," he said quietly. "How did you find me?"

"Instinct."

Michael's forehead furrowed, but he decided not to think too much about Ennard's answer. "Did Lucy ..."

"Tell me? Yes, she told me when I got there. I saw you running but you didn't seem to notice me," Ennard replied calmly, he drank his coffee again and looked straight ahead. "You met Halberg, right?"

Michael pressed his lips together, he nodded slowly. "Lucy now knows ..."

"Dawson doesn't seem to care about that, she's more worried about your condition."

These words made Michael stare at Ennard in awe, before he lowered his gaze again with a relieved smile on his face. Now he felt ashamed for running like that—but he couldn't be blamed for panicking and fearing, could he? Michael played with his milk can happily, he should know that Lucy can be counted on.

"I don't think we can go back to your house for now." Michael turned to the man beside him, Ennard squinted. "Halberg will definitely try to lambast you again, let's move somewhere else for a while first."

"But where?"

Ennard was silent for a moment, he said nothing for several minutes, then suddenly stood up. "I found a house while looking for you, let's check first. Come on."

Michael stood up after that and caught up with Ennard who walked ahead without waiting for him. "You always find a home when we're on the run, is that one of your abilities?" Michael sneered, but Ennard didn't care. "Where is the place?"

"It won't take long if you don't babble."

"I'm not even babbling!"

"Now you do."

The brown-haired man puffed out his cheeks in annoyance, but decided not to reply. They walked in silence for about fifteen minutes, Michael just looking at his surroundings—he had wandered around a lot as a teenager, so this place was very familiar to him, he often passed through this area with his three friends.

Soon they stopped in front of a house. He was a little amazed at how wide the yard of the house was, the house didn't look abandoned like the one they lived in in another city, he felt hesitant.

"Are you sure no one lives here?" Michael asked to make sure, looking at Ennard doubtfully.

Again, Ennard said nothing, the answer being a nod this time. Ennard opened a gate that was only up to his waist—but to be honest it was up to Michael's chest, he felt so short.

Michael examined around the yard. The weeds grew thick with wild plants, the terrace of the house was dirty and the white walls were a little dull, the windows also dusty. It didn't really look like the house was neglected from afar, perhaps abandoned by its owner recently. Michael followed Ennard as he approached one of the windows, then scrubbed the glass clean enough to peek inside.

It was as if there was no sign of life at all in it, unless the cobwebs were included in the count. Michael pursed his mouth and turned to Ennard who was still looking at it with a deadpan expression.

"It's not too dirty, it can be swept easily," Ennard finally spoke. "It won't be hard to clean."

"Right ...."

"So?"

Michael weighed the decision. They had just returned here and a trouble had arisen, it couldn't hurt to be careful. "I'll go back to the hospital and tell Lucy, then."

Ennard's gaze on him made him slightly nervous, then he saw Ennard who nodded again.

He didn't know what would have happened had Ennard not been with him.

"Ennard?"

"Yes?"

"Stretch out your hand."

The animatronic in his human form frowned. "What for?" he asked confusedly, but he did as Michael said—stretching his arms even though he was puzzled.

His eyes widened as Michael immediately hugged him tightly, hiding his face in his chest. He was tense, baffled, didn't know what to do. There was no desire inside of him to push Michael away, instead allowing Michael to start wrapping his arms around his neck, still hugging him. His cheeks felt hot, Ennard pursed his lips as he stared nervously at Michael who smiled warmly at him. Slowly his hands moved to hold him back.

"Thank you, Enn."

Unable to find his voice to reply to Michael, Ennard turned his gaze away.

Damn it, he really fell for him.