Ch 18

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

He put the screwdriver in the toolbox and pushed the endoskeleton mount aside so he could lay his head on the table. Michael took a deep breath, lately he had no intention at all to continue his small work at home.

Maybe it's because he's been lounging in Mark's flat for too long, and he has to get back to that place soon—Michael just said he wanted to go home for a while.

Michael bit the inside of his cheek, he was a little confused—it seemed he should stop staying with Mark, he didn't want to bother Mark any further. Michael was about to tell his old friend that he was going back to live at his house—after all, Alice and her gang were no longer in sight when he stepped home. They might still be hanging around, but if Michael stayed at home there wouldn't be any big problems.

Job.

Right.

He still had to raise money to buy other equipment in order to continue the endoskeleton. Michael groaned in frustration and ruffled his mane in despair. It seems that he has to ask Mark's help to find a new job.

"Troublesome," Michael muttered tiredly. He felt like he just wanted to give up and set himself on fire.

That's a bad idea.

He still had a few things to do ... related to what his father had done with the four animatronics. Michael didn't want to know what happened to the four of them. That was enough to terrorize him. But like it or not, Michael had to complete the will in the letter.

Turning from the heavy stuff, he felt bored.

"Ennard," Michael called—yes he was so bored until he was willing to spend time making the animatronic he had considered a parasite angry.

However, there was no answer at all.

Normally Ennard would just snort whenever he called out to him, and Ennard's grunts were quite loud considering he was an animatronic, Michael could usually hear them even from far away.

Ennard couldn't be off, Michael was sure. This was not a time where Ennard was running out of steam and recharging his energies. So he got to his feet and quickly circled around his quiet house in search of Ennard. Only this time Michael was disturbed by the quiet atmosphere in his own residence. Feels gripping, also sad.

"Ennard?" Michael frowned as he looked at the emptiness he got after opening his sister's room. "Where is he?"

A clue flashed through Michael's mind, but Michael was reluctant; he still hasn't checked his youngest sibling's room. Michael didn't want to go there, but Ennard could be there—where else would Ennard be?

So, Michael walked slowly towards his brother's room, preparing himself first.

He couldn't enter the room without feeling guilty.

Michael grabbed the doorknob, his hands starting to shake. He closed his eyes tightly, at the same time pushed the door inside. Michael gasped—Ennard wasn't there, and his body seemed to freeze now as he stared at the clean room.

A bed, a closet, a box of toys, a table, a night lamp, and a fox mask lay in the center of the room.

Michael gulped, as if he couldn't move. The last day Michael cried there before leaving to live with his father's best friend, the mask he left behind. The fox mask had not moved since he had set foot in this house again.

It feels cramped.

"Benedict."

Michael screamed in surprise, accidentally tripping over his own feet and crashing forward. Michael glanced back quickly, Ennard standing there with his head cocked—confused, it seemed.

"You—damn it don't startle me like that!" Michael snarled in annoyance.

"I've called you many times but you don't hear me, are you deaf?" Ennard rebuked Michael. "What are you doing here?"

Michael pressed his lips together. "Nothing," he answered quickly, standing up and closing the bedroom door before Ennard had a chance to peek any further—no peek actually, Ennard was taller than him so naturally Ennard's range of vision was clearer and wider. "Fuck you."

Ennard turned his head. "You're talking to me?"

"Yes," said Michael irritably. "You bastard, the biggest jerk I've ever met. I hate you. Step on lego, fucking clown."

After that Michael left leaving Ennard alone, still grumbling. Ennard frowned not understanding the eldest Afton's behavior, he was so sure he didn't do anything this time to make his host angry.