Ch 42

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

"Why do you always wear an eyepatch?"

Michael knew sooner or later that question would be asked.

He touched the eyepatch over his face before turning back to look at Lucy who was taking off her work apron. "Nothing," Michael lied, finally stuffing his gloved hand into his trouser pockets, his body slowly showing decay and he needs to be careful from now on.

Lucy raised her eyebrows at Michael's answer. "Why?" she asked again, half forcing Michael to answer honestly.

"Personal reason." Michael shrugged.

"Oh," Lucy mumbled a little, then nodded her head. "I thought it's pretty cool," she said afterwards.

Lucy's words at least made Michael frown a little before thanking her softly. Only this time someone called it cool to wear an eyepatch everywhere he goes. Michael just glanced up when someone called out to Lucy, it looked like Lucy's co-worker. He didn't pay much attention to them, just re-checking the things that had been arranged on the shelves.

"I don't know why you want to talk to him."

Michael could hear Lucy's co-worker talking.

"What's wrong with Michael? He's quite fun to joke around with." Lucy asked back.

"Doesn't he live in the house at the end of it?"

"Yes?"

"That house has been abandoned for a dozen years! And he lives there? That's terrifying, you know. No one dared to approach or even knock on the door! You instead offered him as a volunteer."

This time Michael glanced to see the two girls. Lucy looked completely unaffected, instead showing a confused expression while the black-haired girl near Lucy was clearly looking at him with doubt, it was clear she was reluctant to know that Michael was here. Michael gave a small snort. He just needs money.

Lucy shrugged. "He looks like he needs money and why should I refuse to help him just because Michael lives in that abandoned house? Come on, Mary."

It seemed that Lucy was not too interested in arguing further from the girl, because after saying that Lucy immediately walked away and drew closer to him again. Michael acted as if he hadn't heard any of that.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes, yes everything is fine," Lucy answered his question nonchalantly.

Michael resisted the urge to smile. "Okay."