Ch 114

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Michael looked around worriedly as he stepped down the dark alley.

"No, but we have no choice."

"I don't want to drag other people into my troubles." The brown-haired man muttered before letting out a heavy breath, then he looked around his surroundings again with apprehension. "They won't follow me, will they?"

"No, your ex only knew Dawson and I lived there, he or his accomplices never saw you in or out of that house."

Michael groaned in exasperation. "Stop calling Mark my ex!"

"Isn't that true?"

"You're annoying," Michael grumbled while tightening the jacket he was wearing, then he stared ahead again and this time chose to jog to get to his destination.

After Ennard returned from his searching, he immediately felt distraught at the news Ennard had brought him. If it was true according to their expectations, then everything had been complicated. He at least felt very guilty because Lucy was affected by their problems, he hoped Lucy would be fine. Ennard said they had to leave, he could only follow Ennard's plan. Michael pressed his lips together, his run quickened after he found a house he recognized from a distance.

Then Michael stopped in front of the fence, he seemed doubtful. Deciding to shake off his hesitant, Michael opened the gate and headed for the closed door of the house. Michael took a few breaths, before he knocked a few times.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Do you have another option?"

"No ...."

Michael sighed, his shoulders slumped for a moment but when the sound of the door opened he was slightly startled and straightened up again. A man before him looked at him in surprise, his brown eyes widened. Michael gave a crooked smile. "Long time no see, Uncle Henry."

"Michael!"

The man quickly pulled him into the house, he almost tripped over his own feet. Michael looked back to see his father's old friend locking the door twice. Shortly after, the two of them faced each other, briefly exchanging glances, before Michael smiled widely as Henry hugged him tightly. They hugged each other for a while, then they finally let go.

Henry smiled at the sight of him, ruffling his mane briefly. "Come on, don't stay here," he said as he passed Michael.

Michael followed Henry from behind. The man's house had always been warm and nice to him, he always ended up here as a teenager when he was going through hard times. What's more, after all the incidents that happened to his family, he had lived here for three years. Michael glanced at the pictures on the wall, most of them were Henry with his daughter pictures. Michael's heart sank, remembering what had happened to the poor girl, to the accusations against his father.

"I haven't seen you in a long time." Henry exchanged pleasantries, he told Michael to sit on the sofa—Michael obeyed then he took off the eyepatch he was wearing. "How are you?"

"Shitty."

"I'm good," Michael answered quietly, but Henry's gaze fixed on him with knitted brows. "Fine, I'm not good."

"What happened?" Concern could be heard in Henry's question. "I haven't seen you since you ... you know what happened to you at the rental place." Henry rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly, his eyes darting the other way for a moment.

"I should have sent you some news, but I seem to have focused too much on my own life." Michael chuckled and shrugged briefly. "Living under the same roof of what killed me made me forget you, or maybe everyone else." Michael snorted.

"Geez, I've tried to apologize, you know?"

"Whatever you say, darling."

Henry seemed to be aware of that. "You still live with him?" he asked quickly. "Did you have an issue with him that you decided to come here?"

Michael's purple eye instantly turned blue, his gaze exasperated. "Don't be a fool and assume things, Emily."

Henry gasped slightly in surprise, but Michael took over immediately and gave a nervous laugh. "Don't listen to him, Uncle, he's been having a lot of temper tantrums lately over other matters." Michael smiled awkwardly at the man. "He's pretty grumpy."

The Emily chose not to respond to that anymore and started to put on a serious expression. "So, what's up, Michael?"

Michael pursed his lips again, his gaze dropping. "Over the past year, the movement of these scientists has become increasingly violent," Michael said slowly. "We had moved to another city after arguing with my old friend too. At first we were safe there, but someone called them to come, so we came back here ... with a girl. She's a friend I got in another city, her apartment was bugged once by them so she came with us. Now she's gone."

"Gone?"

"Disappear." Michael glared into Henry's eyes, he looked desperate and regretful at the same time. "I don't want to involve her in our troubles, but that's already done. She said she didn't mind at all, but now she's missing." Michael leaned his back against the head of the couch and let out a tired breath before looking up at the ceiling. "I don't know where she's been going since morning ... Ennard said that," Michael paused, it felt like his tongue stuck to complete his sentence.

Henry stared intently at the eldest Afton, then moved to sit beside him. "That there is a possibility that they abducted her," he continued Michael's words.

Michael nodded brokenly, then covered his face with both hands. "I don't know what to do ...."

He let Henry pull him into a hug again, feeling the warmth when Henry gently stroked his back. "I'll help you, kid, don't worry," Henry said to him gently, they stared at each other for a moment. "For now, rest in the room you used here."

A smile started to appear on Michael's face. "Thank you, Uncle, sorry for bothering you all the time."

"Don't worry about it." Henry patted the top of Michael's head lightly, before raising an eyebrow as Michael brushed his hand away through gritted teeth—it wasn't Michael, his eyes were robotic blue.

"Ennard!" Michael rebuked. "Sorry about that—Ennard is just ... he's overprotective, and jealous, short-tempered."

"It's alright ...," Henry replied with interest, before pulling out an amused smile. "At least you guys look close now, unlike before."

Michael shrugged and sighed, he glanced the other way for a second and seemed hesitant to say anything. However, he prepared and steadied himself, looked back at Henry and smiled nervously. "Actually, we are now ... dating."

At least Henry didn't faint like they thought when he heard that.