Ch 40

"Bold."/"Bold italic" : animatronic is talking/animatronic is talking in mind

"Normal."/"Normal italic." : human is talking/human is talking in mind

=o^o=

Michael thought he should stop his obsession with touching Ennard's face.

For some reason the white mask caught his attention now, even though behind the mask was only Ennard's robotic face. Michael put his hands in his side pockets, resisting the urge to do it again.

It wouldn't be funny if Ennard suddenly woke up.

His eyes stared intensely at Ennard, his eyebrows raised. Suddenly, he wondered what Ennard would look like if Ennard was a human.

Perhaps Ennard would be tall and very pale skin.

Or maybe short?

Michael smiled to himself, if Ennard was shorter than him it would be a pleasure, he could bully the animatronic back.

Then an idea crossed his mind. Sounds impossible, but it might happen if he invents the device. Michael's smile widened, he knew how to do it, lucky he had seen his father make a chip for animatronics—and to his surprise his father taught him too. Michael just needs to modify the chip a little later to have an illusion.

For the second time Michael felt smart for having created this idea.

He had to quickly make the steps first, maybe even sketch them. Michael stepped out of the room cheerfully, not bothering to close the door again. Michael took the paper and pen, then he threw himself on the sofa.

The tip of the pen had been inscribed on the paper, Michael had a rough idea of ​​what this illusion disc would later be, and there was a sudden knock on the door.

Michael looked at the door in surprise, who decided to visit? He was sure they had never once left the area of ​​this old house and didn't meet anyone, even trying to leave the outside of the house looking abandoned so that the people around didn't suspect anything.

There was another knock on the door, Michael finally felt concerned. He didn't respond to the knocking, he thought the person knocking would give up and leave. But his estimation was wrong, the door kept knocking non-stop.

Michael glanced around the room for a moment, then stared at the door. He gulped, took his eyepatch and put it on, after which he stood up. Michael walked slowly toward the front door, the knocking didn't stop—this person really didn't know when to give up. Then he grabbed the doorknob, finally he opened it only a quarter of it.

"Finally!"

A girl, with brown hair and black eyes, wearing a white sleeveless shirt and a brown knee-length skirt while holding an umbrella. Michael forgot that it was still drizzling outside even though it was no longer raining, maybe that's why this girl didn't stop knocking.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting."

Michael opened the door wider, but tried not to show the utensils on the living room table. "What?" he asked quickly.

"Our supermarket will restock all goods and we decided to distribute the products that have not been purchased in this area. You can choose between milk and sugar because that's all that's left now."

Michael pursed his lips, then tilted his head slightly. He stared intently at the girl for a moment, this felt familiar. "Milk."

The girl nodded cheerfully and handed him two cartons of milk, which Michael gladly accepted. "Thank you for your time—"

"Wait," Michael interrupted. "Since you guys are restocking products, is there any chance that you ... are looking for additional employees?" asked Michael quietly, he knew very well their finances were currently in a very bad state.

"Ah about that, looks like we'll only be hiring someone for a few days." The girl raised her eyebrows to see Michael immediately smiled. "Are you interested?"

"Yes!" Michael answered quickly.

"Alright," the girl nodded, smiling back at Michael. "What's your name?"

Michael blinked. "Mike ... Emily."

Sorry, Uncle Henry, I'll be using your name temporarily.

"Okay! I really appreciate it!" The girl grinned, Michael's smile slowly turned awkward. Then her hand reached out to the man, Michael looked at the pair of black eyes in front of him. "My name is Lucy, Lucy Alicia Dawson."