I remember

I slowly back out of his room, and close the door softly.

I remember holding his arm, crying and yelling till someone came. I clutched his wrist the best I could manage but the blood wouldn't stop, it seemed like forever before someone rushed in and then my father was there.

An arm goes around my shoulder, and leads me downstairs, to the soft comfortable chair that's mine in my father's study.

"I thought it was a dream." I finally manage to say.

My father hands me a drink.

"How much do you remember Wayo?"

"A lot of blood, me shouting, and him not moving, I was holding his wrist." I finished the drink in one go. "No one said anything."

"I kept the whole thing quite, best for Sing."

"You wouldn't let us see him."

"Like that stopped you or Ming."

"We just wanted to see if he was ok."

"He needed a little time to deal with it."

"Did we make it worse by going to see him? Is that why he left?"

"No, him going abroad was already planned."

"What happened?"

"His mother. She accumulated husbands, one of his stepbrothers wasn't kind, it escalated fast. Sing visited, he played with you and Ming, he was cheerful boy, but one particulate visit, things seemed wrong. I asked and he told me. I got custody of him."

He gets a drink and come sits in a chair opposite me.

"She came to visit Sing before he left for Europe. With that boy. If I had known..... He went to Sings room, he had a knife. You snuck in to see Sing, and found him hurt. I went when I heard you screaming for help."

"Was there more injuries?"

"Yes."

"More, from that night?"

"Yes. Also from different times, always where they can't be seen."

Shit, talk about a night of revelations. I'm sure there was a lot more that followed. I was a kid no idea any of this was even happening.

I just remembered my cool cousin coming to live with me. I wasn't alone anymore and had someone to tell things to. Even Ming loved P'Sing more than his sibling; he was here with us most of the time.

"I hope that guys rotting in prison somewhere." I say angrily

"I made sure it's a place worse than that. No one remembers that family name." My father's voice is chilling.

Nothing more is said I go back to my room, I call Ming. He's silent on the other end.

"Shit Yo, how did we not know?"

We were kids, at that time when do you think these things are happening around you? I can't sleep again, I go sit in the garden, I feel like I need air. I want to see P'Pha.

"Can't sleep?" It's P'Sing. He comes to sit next to me. "Still sneaking into my room even now?"

"I'm sorry p" I whisper.

"Uncle told you?"

"Yes."

"You will tell Ming, I'm still a coward when it comes to you two. I like being the hero you two always thought I was."