Something to learn

Lee POV

I got a call from Pha, asking how to find Tae, he wants to go teach him a lesson. I tried asking what was wrong but he was too angry to make much sense, just that the bastard asked Yo to dinner.

I warned you Yo...

Then I got a call from Yo, telling me to get a hold of Himi he needed to return the gift, while I could hear Pha making random comments in the background.

I got a call from Himi asking me to go for a drink and talk. I told him when and where, I needed to return whatever he gave Yo, and maybe I should stop prolonging this.

That thought lasted a few minutes before others invaded, universe your sense of humor bites.

"Himi's that guy?" Sing asks, as I walk into his office.

"They all gossip too much." I sigh sitting.

"Be grateful it was Yo, Ming would have sat on you till you told him everything." Sing smirks.

So many new things to get used to since I followed Sing here, the biggest change is his personality.

I respected Sing, he was my first friend in Paris, I liked him because he told you things straight, no lies, no covering up. But he was always so quiet, a loner, and even with the close group we had, it sometimes felt he held back.

He talked to me about his new responsibilities and an opening if I was interested. Following him here, it just felt right, not that I had any romantic interest in him, we were good friends.

I had seen Sing talk to his cousins a few times, the look on his face was an enigma, but seeing him here with them, that was an eye opener. I don't think even he realises it, how happy he is with them around.

And New, I never thought the day would come, him having someone. He didn't tolerate people, never any that tried to be too close, and the few who tried to be more, Sing could sink a battleship with a look.

I look at my phone when it vibrates.

"Thanks to Tae I have to meet Himi and return the gift, talk about a bad day." I complain.

"You can't be angry forever, you said so yourself." Sing looks up from his desk. "Good to finally sort it."

I smile. "I'm surprised you didn't tell you cute cousins already."

"They will figure it out, it's more fun that way."

"It's hard to know what to say." I tell him honestly.

"You already decided it long ago." He's looking right at me.

"I don't think I had as much faith or courage at that age, as your cousins do Sing."

"Neither did I, it's a good thing to learn."

"Yo is dangerous, that kids going to cause a lot of headaches." I tell him smiling.

"Glad you came now?" Sing asks.

"Glad? I'm going to go bold within a year."

"Admit it, you like them both."

"Maybe. But you need to talk to Ming..."

I tell Sing, who throw's back his head and roars with laughter. Even we weren't that bad at their age and we lived in Paris, the city of lovers. I sigh as Yo sends me more messages, and Pha wants names and addresses.

I had to contact Himi to meet, Yo gave me the box to return and a letter, he felt bad doing it this way and wanted to go see Tae and explain, but Pha wouldn't let him.

When Himi doesn't show up I decide to go in and have a drink at the bar, its late, but I can arrange a ride back. I find a quite spot in the corner, the place only has a few people near the bar.

I wait 20 minutes before he shows up, well his sense of timing hasn't changed.

"Sorry Lee, traffic was hell, can you believe people...." He starts talking.

It reminds me of how we used to be all those years ago, when we were friends, feels like another life time.

"Here." I give him the box and note. "Give this to Tae, it's from Yo."

After he takes them, I down the rest of my drink and get ready to go.

"Leaving already?" he asks

"Yes, I have work things to do." I say starting to get up, but he grabs my arm. "What do you want Himi?"

"I never made any promises Lee, I told you from the start that I would go back and marry."

"You did make one, that when it was the end, you would tell me." I say looking at him.

"Lee, it all happened so fast."

"I know, you went home for 2 weeks and came back married, with your bride. I called you and you didn't pick up or answer my messages. None of your friends would tell me anything, I was worried."

"I didn't know how to tell you."

"Your bride didn't have any problems, 'Women are always better', her exact words to me when I hurried back to find you."

"It was rushed, I couldn't bring myself to call you and it just got harder and harder."

"You didn't respect me as your lover, but you didn't even respect me as a friend. That hurt."

"I'm sorry Lee. I'm very sorry."

I wanted to hear that all those years ago, hearing it now felt numb. What had I been expecting? I don't know anymore.

"I've been wanting to say that for a long time but you just didn't come back."

"Mum re-married that summer, we moved, I changed university."

"You didn't even keep in touch with our friends."

"They were your friends, they covered for you. If they had been mine they would have at least told me what was happening." I sigh, another blow that hurt.

"They didn't know what to say, they felt guilty."

I looked at my phone as it vibrated.

"I had a whole speech planned for when I saw you again, but it's gone out of my head. It was a long time ago, but I am truly sorry Lee."

He looks tired and hurt, I never wanted this between us. I knew it was temporary he didn't lie about that, but like anyone young and in their first relationship, at the back of my mind I had hoped he would chose me.

"We're going to be meeting now and then with the situation as it is, let's just be civil shall we."

He looks up at me relieved. "That would be good."

We had been friends once, I also had something prepared for when the end came.

"Congratulations on your wedding Himi." I say offering my hand. "I wish you well."

"Thanks Lee." He says shaking it.

I get up and leave. I managed to shakes hands years later, but back then I don't think I would have managed even say the words of congratulations. It felt strange, a closing chapter in my life, I know how people described it, but it felt like something overdue that you finally finished.

I get to my car and see someone waiting for me.

"Did you finish your meeting p?" He asks smiling.

Your right Sing, it's a good thing to learn, faith and courage.

"Yes, it's finished." I tell him tossing my keys. "You drive kido, I had a few drinks."