The truth revealed ...

Ming's busy setting up his laptop in the living room, it will soon be time. I walk into my father's study and sit in his chair, waiting as he finishes his call. I wonder if he's angry at me about P'Poppy.

It just came out, I didn't think it was a bad idea, but of course it's my dad's choice in the end. He finishes his call and sits opposite with a drink.

"Am I driving you to drink?" I ask.

"A night cap." He smiles.

"Do you still have the letters?" I enquire.

"Of course." He sighs. "I kept them safe."

"You never say anything, I want to ask but..."

"I never said you couldn't Wayo." He tells me. "Ask what you like."

"Why are they so few pictures?" I ask.

"Your mother really wasn't into taking them." He sits back. "She hardly bothered, unless it was for occasions."

"Can I read the letters?" I look up.

"If you like."

"Are they private, and things I don't want to know, about my parents?"

"No." My father laughs. "More two strangers, trying to get to know each other."

"I'm sorry if I was too pushy." I tell him. "About P'Poppy."

"She was always a good kid." He smiles. "She got caught with a letter, was nearly expelled, but she never said your mother's name."

"A little harsh, just for a letter."

"Your reputation had to be immaculate. It was a private school, they only took a select few."

"What happened?"

"Mother stepped in."

"You told grandmother?" I smile. "How long were you grounded?"

"She arranged the wedding quickly after that." He smiles. "They were both relieved it wasn't someone else."

"Did you have anniversary parties?" I ask.

"A few." He finishes his drink. "Mother liked them to be family affairs, more family less outsiders."

When he gets up to pour another, I walk over and hug him.

"Should I be worried?" I can hear the smile in his voice.

"Father!" I look up at him annoyed. "You ruined the moment!"

Ming runs in, sees us, walks over and hugs us both, before pushing us towards the living room, it was time.

We watch as different people come and go into the kitchen, but no one touches the cake, covered in a silver dome with a note saying "MINGS, DO NOT TOUCH IT"

Everyone's sleepy, but Ming won't move till he knows.

"It's him!" He yells. We all look, it's his cousin, the one he hates. "I knew you would come fatso."

"Ming, he isn't fat." I say.

"He is on the inside!" Ming snaps. "He's an evil cake eater. That's it, go towards the fridge...haha... that's right..."

"It's a bloody cake!" I yell.

"Silence shitty Yo!" Ming shouts. "It's my cake."

But fats...I mean his cousin walks out, without touching it. He reads the note, rolls his eyes and takes a drink before leaving.