26

November 22nd. 8:03 PM

Baekhyun jolted up, feeling himself shudder his eyes close. Chanyeol took his eyes off his phone, sad that the warmth and weight against his shoulder had disappeared. He turned to the smaller who was rubbing his slightly swollen eyes, his legs curled up to his side as if he wanted to get up. He leaned in, rubbing the tired boy's back. "What's the matter?" Baekhyun slumped his shoulder with a yawn.

"I'm a bit sleepy-"

Chanyeol didn't need another word. He helped the boy up with one hand while the other grabbed all the garbage, making sure to throw everything out. The taller walked to the front of the shop, mindlessly holding Baekhyuns hand. He smiled at the owner and quickly lowered his head.

"Have a goodnight, sir! And again, thank you for tonight."

"It's not a problem. Stay out of trouble... especially you." Baekhyun glared at the hand pointing at him.

"I'm not a troublemak-"

"Sure you aren't, now let's get going, darling. Thank you again!" Chanyeol dragged him out of the store before the boy could start arguing again. Baek tapped his pouting lips as another yawn disrupted his annoyed stare.

"Darling? Really?"

"Your ears are red." He flushed even more. He covered his warm ears, embarrassed at how he had exposed himself for liking the cute name. "It's cold..." Chanyeol chuckled at his excuse, but he hummed in agreement either way. He looked down at their intertwined hand and pulled away with rosed cheeks. He scratched his neck, looking away, unsettled with the confused stare he received.

"We should talk first... or should we hold hands as friends?" Baekhyun covered his mouth with a slight cackle. He looked at his cold palm and shrugged. "I don't mind. I used to hold hands with Luhan all the time." He frowned at the name and focused on the rocks on the floor. He shouldn't have said so much; he should've just listened to the olders worries. Chanyeol must've noticed the drop in mood since he laced their fingers once again with a smile. "One fight isn't going to ruin your friendship. Some say it can even make it stronger, so... don't worry so much." Baekhyun hummed, but he didn't seem too convinced. "Should I drop you off at his house?" He shook his head, not prepared to talk to his best friend after everything that happened. He would probably cry the second he saw him, so it would be best to meet him another day. "Your uncles?" He shook his head again. He didn't want to fight with his mom, and he would not be able to sleep under that roof without bringing up his stepfather. He hoped this time alone would help both of them settle their minds, especially his mother, who was overly obsessed with the old house.

"You're homeless again?"

"Yup."

The chatting died down. All they could hear were the crickets yelping in the grass and the wind howling against the dark sky. Kicking some rocks off the ground, Baekhyun stopped to look up at the bright stars that lit up the night. The area they were in didn't have many street lights, so the stars were a bit clearer. Chanyeol halted in his steps when he noticed the smaller wasn't following him. The pull at his hand tugged him back to the smiling older.

"What's wrong?" He beamed at the beautiful sight with sparkling eyes. Chanyeol could feel his heart twitch as he observed the smaller male, nearly screaming at how adorable and wholesome he looked. He quickly looked up at the stars and tried to calm his heart. He could feel it beating through his chest; the strong vibration made him feel even more anxious.