72

People ran to the back of the class behind a large pillar. Everyone was visibly frightened from the announcements. They would've assumed that the school was doing a realistic drill to teach the students the importance of a lockdown... but as they turned to their teacher, they were completely convinced that this was real. The teacher was typing the numbers, her hands trembling as tears threatened to spill from her eyes. That along with the loud screams they heard in the hallway and terrifying sobs. This was a nightmare.

Ms. Ren put the phone against her ear, telling the kids to calm down quietly. She pointed to the hard bookcases and motioned for them to use them as a shield if needed. The call finally went through, a women's voice speaking lowly.

"What is your emergency-"

"There is an intruder in the school, Main Arts Highschool. I-it's in Runway street in front of the public library." Her voice stuttering. She caressed the crying student in her arms, trying to calm everyone down when she herself was panicking.

"I understand, ma'am. We sent multiple cops to the location already. They should arrive in a few minutes, so do not be scared and try to maintain quiet-"

Gunshots rang through the hallway outside of their room. Everyone froze again, the dead silence filling the air. The delayed clicks from the clock hanging on the wall, Ms. Rin tightened the grip on her phone, feeling her hands grow numb. She had sworn she had even heard the dispatcher gulp on the other line.

Baekhyun felt Daniel pull him closer. The younger kept looking at his backpack across the room. He wanted to get up and grab it, but a small hand held him tight, not letting him go. Baek was very scared; however, that did not mean he was going to act stupid or let anyone around him cause a scene. He knew what was in the others bag... Daniel was his guard of course the younger would have a gun with him. But to showcase it in front of everyone? It would only bring even more chaos.

Daniel held the older in a hugging manner, his hand rubbing the other's back in small circular motions. He could feel the sudden jumps Baek would make whenever a slight sound was heard. He ran his fingers against the honey brown hair and looked into the glossy eyes were careful ones.

"Baek... it's going to be alright. If anything happens, I'll protect you. That's why I'm here. I'll be your shield until the very end. Okay?" Baekhyun shook his head, his face hiding itself in the tallers chest. He knew exactly what those words meant. When they had first met, Daniel had said the same thing. He absolutely hated the meaning behind them. Daniel was his shield—he would risk his life to protect the older. Baekhyun didn't want that. He'd rather die than have someone sacrifice their own life just so he can live. It would be meaningless. He would hold onto that death for the rest of his life. He didn't want Daniel to die for him... but he knew how strong-headed the younger was.

They all held their breath when a knock came on their door. Sweat slipping onto their palms, the intruder was directly outside. The man let out a loud laugh as he continued to pull on the handle. The rattling sound against the door made them all unconsciously scoot closer to one another. The man knocked loudly and screamed for them to open the door already.

"Open before I shoot this door down!" Some students covered their mouths, hoping it would muffle out the screams lingering at the top of their throats. A gunshot was heard, but the bullet had bounced off the wooden door causing minimal damage. The school had changed their doors two years ago after a shocking lockdown had occurred... that decision might have just saved their lives.

The intruder walked away, shouting in frustration, letting out an aggressive yell before shooting at random doors.

"Where are you!" They turned their heads to each other with confused stares. The intruder was trying to find someone, but who exactly-

Another gunshot rang in the air, accompanied by a dreadful scream. The name that slipped out of his tongue next made them all feel chills.

"Byun Baekhyun! Where the fuck are you?!"

The class turned to their peer, watching his face completely broke. They felt their stomachs clench, the boy had just come back from the baseball incident, and he had to deal with another chilling event. Baek felt his heart drop. He turned to Daniel, who was also shocked. He let the tears fall, allowing the younger to pull him into a tight hug, mumbling comforting words. Daniel hated how lifeless the older felt in his arms.

Me? He came here to find me?

All those screams and gunshots?

People are suffering because of me...

Again.

Sirens could be heard, and a loud thud as the police officers tackled the armed man. The terrifying experience had ended... for most of them, at least. Their eyes still averted to the honey-like hair that hid in Daniel's neck. They couldn't help but feel bad yet also confused.

The students were all moved to a safer area, but they still spotted the ambulance and bloody steps. They were smart enough to assume that someone had gotten severely injured. Daniel dragged Baekhyun to the outside gate away from all the teachers and students. The older was shaking and was noticeably nauseous. He covered his mouth, trying to stop the urge to vomit. The guilt piling up in his stomach as he stared at the concrete on the floor.

"Baek-"

"He said my name."

"I know, but-"

"He was there because of me."

"Hyung he-"

"It's all my fault."

Baekhyun turned to the ambulance seeing two students in transfer beds. They had been shot trying to run away from the intruder. Daniel looked as Baek turned away, grabbing his ringing phone. He answered his brother's call and felt his following words stutter out.

"H-Hyung-"

"Baek... I'm here in front of you two. Come to the car. Please hurry." Baekhyun looked up, seeing Daehyuns car near the entrance. He grabbed Daniel's hand and ran to the car with a worried stare. His brother opened the door in a hurry, visibly in panic.

"Daehyun-"

"Look, I know what happened today at school. It may be too much for me to tell you this but you... you have every right to know." Baekhyun raised his brow in confusion. His brother yanked him into a hug reassuring him that everything was okay. Daehyun pulled away, and for the first time, Baek had seen tears in his eyes. He just knew the following words from his brother were going to destroy him mentally.

His return to school was becoming a living hell.

———————