62

He took a deep breath while fidgeting with his hands. He closed his eyes and tried to calm himself.

I can do this.

I can do this.

I can do this-

"Baekhyun."

He jumped at the deep voice before staring at his boyfriend. Chanyeol gave him a sweet smile as he rubbed his back.

"I'm here, remember." Baekhyun nodded before holding the big hand tightly. He looked at him with worried eyes. Their friends wanted to coo at the sight but stayed silent, thinking the situation was too serious.

"Just let me hold your hand." Chanyeol bit his lip before nodding at the smaller. Then it all began, the conversation that would change their friendship in a bad and good way. Baekhyun took a deep breath and tried to steady his voice.

"The day I went to get my wallet I... I actually went to my old house." His friends were confused.

"Old?"

"Well, I started living with my uncle because my stepdad would get out of hand. He's very... abusive and likes to drink a lot. My mother got hit really bad, so she decided to start living with her brother." They felt their hearts stop... well, Baekhyuns friends. It all started to click. The random bruises Baekhyun had in middle school, the constant flinching whenever someone got too close—joining several clubs to get away from home. It was all starting to click.

TW: Abuse

The little kids ran to the playground. The swing areas were finally clear.

"Baekkie, come push me!" The little boy ran to swing his best friend. He laughed as he watched the swing move high. The bruises on his wrist went numb; he couldn't feel the pain.

"Weeee!" Luhan screamed, throwing his hands up with excitement. Baekhyun smiled and kept pushing. The cuts on his knees were starting to sting.

"Baekhyun!"

He turned to the angry man in the corner of the street. His stepdad was fuming already. He got annoyed just staring at the young boy's face.

"We're going home!" The boys whined. Kyungsoo ran to Baekhyun, giving him a hug. The hug was a bit tight, slightly making the purple bruises ache again.

"We don't want you to leave hyunnie-"

"Oww!" The bruises on his shoulders started burning immediately.

"Are you okay?" Xiumin looked at him worried, his lips red from the cherry lollipop against his cheek. Baekhyun smiled, trying to not worry his friends.

"I'm okay. I have to go! I'll see you tomorrow at the playground again!" They waved goodbye, sad that their friend had to leave so soon.

"Why are we leaving-"

"Shut up." His stepfather grabbed his wrist harshly. The grip was strong enough to form red lines along the already sensitive skin.