care

for @Sam284

-

Michael walked down the empty halls of his middle school. His teacher sent him to pick something up from the office and he was trying to kill time.

"Look at you! What makes y-"

"Stop." He heard a weak voice whimper.

He turned the corner, and saw a blonde boy with big blue eyes cornered. There were two boys in front of him making fun of his clothes, his hair, and the way he chewed on his thumb when he was scared.

"Hey! Leave him alone!" Michael said, walking over to the group of sixth graders. He was a seventh grader which made him look bigger.

He watched as the guys laughed and walked away, leaving the blonde boy there by himself.

He looked back and saw how scared he still looked.

"Don't worry. You're with me now. No one will make fun of you again."

-

Luke stayed close behind Michael as they walked down the hallway. It was their junior year of high school, and Luke was still constantly picked on, but it never went far because Michael was always there.

Luke had bad anxiety and just being with Michael calmed him down.

Luke held onto Michael's arm tight and the older boy tried to shake him off.

"Luke, let go.." Michael sighed. He was extremely exhausted, and Luke was being extra clingy today.

"Mikey, I'm-"

"I know, Luke. I know you're feeling really anxious today. You've told me about 400 times. Just please let go for at least a second. Give me space for just one second and I promise I will give every ounce of my attention to you later." Michael said, and Luke felt bad for being so clingy.

"Okay. You can go to your locker and I'll go out to your car." Luke said softly.

"No, Luke. You can't. You can stay with me, just don't hold onto me right now."

"No, I'll be okay. I-"

"Luke, no. Every time you go somewhere by yourself at school you always get approached and you have an anxiety attack. I'm not going to let that happen. You can't go by yourself." Michael expressed, and Luke huffed.

"Yes I can." He argued and walked while Michael was still unloading his backpack from the day.

He heard Michael telling him to wait, but he didn't listen.

Luke walked out of the doors and he knew immediately that he should've waited.

People were rushing past him to get to their cars, and Luke was pulled by a guy. His back gently pressed to the brick wall as he looked up.

"Where's Michael, baby? Your little body guard?" Luke's eyes widened when he saw Jake standing above him, uncomfortably close. He reeked of weed and beer because drinking and smoking in the courtyard was cool to him. He's been suspended twelve times and two of those were for sexual harassment towards Luke.

"I need to go." Luke whispered, and started to push past him, but he couldn't.

"Cmon, baby. I don't see Michael anywhere. Just let me drive you home." He said, and Luke quickly shook his head, his nerves building so fast.

"I know you want to. We could stop by my apartment..." Jake whispered, grabbing at Luke's bum.

"Get off of him." Luke heard Michael calmly say as if he expected to run up on something like this

Jake backed up, but not enough for Luke to get away.

"Or what?" Jake laughed.

"I've already proved to you that I can beat your ass. Do I need to show you again, junkie?" Michael asked, and Jake scoffed, pushing Luke towards Michael.

Michael grabbed Luke's arm and pulled him to his car.

"Luke, what the heck?! I told you not to go because something like that would happen!" Michael said harshly as they both stepped in the car.

Luke already had tears threatening to fall. He was so overwhelmed and he didn't need Michael yelling at him too.

"I'm sorry." Luke said, and successfully kept his tears in.

"What made you think it was a good idea?!" Michael asked, and Luke's first tear fell as Michael drove to his house.

"You just kept telling me that I can't, and I don't like it when you tell me I can't do something because it makes me feel weak. I don't want you to think I'm really clingy and annoying all of the time." Luke said as Michael pulled into the driveway.

"Luke, listen to me-"

"I just wanted to try to show you that I can do things by myself, but it didn't work."

"Luke, I told you to stay with me because I care too much about you. Not because I don't think you can do things on your own. You are clingy and I love that, okay? I love knowing that I can protect you when you feel like you can't do it yourself. You are so strong, and I just don't want to see anyone hurt you. I'm sorry I made you feel weak, but I was just scared of what could've happened." Michael said, and Luke's heart started beating when Michael reached over, running a hand through Luke's hair.

"You don't have anything to prove to me, Luke Hemmings. You don't have to prove that you're strong and independent because I already know you are. Sometimes I just don't want to let you go." Michael whispered.

Luke smiled, biting his lip so his toothy grin wouldn't make him look like an idiot.

"You don't want to let me go?" Luke asked softly.

"Of course I don't. I love you, Luke." Michael told him, and Luke blushed, looking down.

"You really mean that?" Luke asked him, placing his hands on the compartment between them.

"Of course I do. I've just been too scared to say it. I love you, Luke, and I will protect you for the rest of my life if you want me to." He whispered, leaning over to kiss Luke's cheek.

He slowly made his way down, coming to the corner of Luke's mouth.

"I love you too." Luke whispered, giving Michael permission to kiss his lips, and onto his waist.

The blonde boy placed his hands on Michael's neck, and couldn't help but smile into the kiss, breaking it.

"I love you."

"I love you."