anxiety

Luke wasn't having a good day.

Nothing happened to cause this, he just woke up feeling anxious and just out of it today.

He hasn't told Michael. Usually he doesn't because Michael makes him feel better without anything being said.

Luke walked through the dark hallway, wondering why all of the lights were still off. It was 10 a.m.

"Mikey? Can you put a poptart in the toaster for me?" Luke asked, biting on his nail as he walked into the kitchen.

"No, I really can't." Michael said, looking through papers, his laptop right in front of him. "And you can't either because you forgot to pay the electricity bill."

Luke's eyes widened remembering the deadline was yesterday. He felt stupid for forgetting, but it happens. He didn't do it on purpose.

"Shoot, I'm sorry, Michael. Here let me do th-"

"No. I'm really trying to hurry..." Michael mumbled, so Luke just backed off. "...if I don't get this done before my battery d- my laptop just died. Great."

Luke left the room because he could tell Michael was getting a little stressed.

He went and sat criss cross on the couch. He just wishes Michael would come and tell him it's okay, but Luke feels like Michael is angry with him.

"I think I'm gonna go to the library down the street and plug in my computer and get this done." Michael muttered.

Luke nodded, continuing to shyly chew on his thumb nail. He had involuntary tears in his blue eyes. He really needed to take his medicine, but he really just needed Michael.

Michael saw how unsteady Luke looked, and sat his stuff down on the coffee table.

"Hey im not mad at you, okay?" Michael said, and brushed a hand through Luke's hair.

Luke laid down across Michael's lap, and the older boy rubbed Luke's back gently. Michael could tell Luke wasn't having a good day, and he was willing to sit in the dark with no heating for a while if it meant Luke was gonna feel okay.

Luke's head was tucked into the crease of Michael's stomach and his hip, tears soaking into Michael's shirt. His mind was racing and he just couldn't get calm.

"You're okay, Luke. I'm not mad. I know sometimes it might seem like I am, or that I'm stressed, but I'm really not. I was honestly just worried that you might get scared tonight if the lights weren't turned back on by then. I know how you hate the dark. I'm just worried about you." Michael said, rubbing Luke's back.

"Love you..." Luke whispered, still biting his nail.

Michael leaned down, and kissed Luke's temple.

"I love you, too, beautiful."

They sat there for hours, Michael whispering little things to Luke, making sure he was okay.

The younger boy eventually fell asleep on Michael's lap, the chaos in his mind wearing him out.

Michael stood up, and pulled a blanket over Luke.

He smiled as he looked at Luke laying there. He looks so pretty.

Michael picked up his stuff, and left the house. He couldn't wait until he got to come back home to Luke.