forgot

Luke smiled as he walked down the stairs into the kitchen.

He leaned on the counter and placed his chin in the palms of his hands.

"You know, I would've loved breakfast in bed today.." Luke joked, making Michael playfully scoff.

"And I would of absolutely loved a massage last night but we don't always get what we want." Michael said, and Luke smiled as he sat at a bar stool.

Michael slid Luke over a plate of pancakes, and the blond boy smiled at his boyfriend.

"Aw, you made me pancakes?" Luke asked, and Michael shrugged, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I just made breakfast. I usually do." Michael said, and Luke looked up as Michael put another plate in the sink.

"Are you not gonna eat with me?" Luke asked.

"I already ate." Michael said, and Luke nodded.

"What are we gonna do today?" Luke asked, and looked up as he took a bite.

"Did you want to do something today? I was just gonna play video games and have a lazy kind of day." Michael laughed

"Well, duh I want to do something! I thought you would have something planned?" Luke said softly, and Michael shook his head.

"Oh.. do you just wanna stay home today?" Luke asked, and Michael shrugged.

"I mean, we don't have to, but it's my day off of work." Michael said.

"But it's so pretty outside, and we can go for a walk, and maybe get food, and-"

"Why though?" Michael asked, and Luke bit on his fingernail.

"Well, I mean, I guess it would be fun to stay here too." Luke said, and shrugged a little bit.

"Alright I'm gonna invite Calum over in a little while to show him my new Xbox. He'll probably stay and play for a while." Michael said, and Luke nodded, staying silent as Michael left the room.

He didn't want to tell Michael it was his birthday. He just didn't feel like it was that important anymore, but he wishes Michael would've remembered.

-

A little after 5 p.m., Michael walked into the kitchen and saw Luke doing the dishes.

"Hey, babe, I'm gonna go call Calum-"

"Can we just watch a movie? You haven't payed attention to me all day." Luke said softly, and turned to look at Michael.

"He's not gonna stay over that long, okay?" Michael asked, and Luke nodded, turning back to the dishes.

"I'll cook you guys something for dinner," Luke said quietly.

"You're great," Michael said, and walked from the kitchen, pulling out his phone.

He dialed calums number, and waited for the kiwi boy to answer.

"Hey, Michael. How's Luke?" Calum asked.

"He's fine, anyway, you can come over and check out my new Xbox now if you want-"

"Today? I figured you and Luke would be going out or something?" Calum laughed.

"Why's that?" Michael asked, and looked back into the kitchen to see Luke with his head laying down on the counter.

"Because it's his birthday! Why else?" Calum asked, and Michael's jaw dropped.

The silence on the phone told calum that something was up.

"Michael, please don't tell me you forgot. He went all out for your birthday. He made you the heart pancakes and brought them to you in bed and everything. Please tell me you didn't forget." Calum said softly.

"I need to go."

Michael sat his phone down, and walked into the kitchen, his heart absolutely breaking for Luke.

He didn't mean to hurt his feelings. It just slipped his mind.

"Hey..." Michael whispered, and Luke sat up, wiping the tiredness out of his eyes.

"Is calum on his way?"

"I'm so sorry." Michael whispered, and Luke's eyes softened a little bit.

Luke shrugged a little, and Michael frowned at the younger boy.

On Michael's birthday, Luke filled the table with gifts and little homemade things that made Michael feel so loved. He cooked all of Michael's favorite things, and planned the day full of things Michael loved to do.

"It's your birthday.." Michael whispered, and Luke lightly smiled.

Michael hugged Luke tightly, and the blond boy laid his head on Michael's shoulder.

"I know I should've remembered, but why didn't you remind me?" Michael asked, and pulled away, keeping his hands on Luke's shoulders.

"I mean, it's just my birthday. It's not a big deal." Luke said.

"Luke, no. It's your special day. I feel awful. You deserve better than this. You've done so much for me." Michael whispered.

"Michael, it's okay-"

"No, it's not. You deserve the world, and I promise you, for the rest of the week- for the rest of your life I'm gonna treat you like a princess, baby, because you deserve everything you want. I'm gonna spoil you so much." Michael said, and Luke smiled as the older boy hugged him so tight.

"Happy birthday, sweet heart. I love you."