not good enough

for @lwq5sos thank you so much for this request !!!

-

Luke smiled as Michael's parents sat down. He's never formally met them before. Luke and Michael lived in Sydney, but Michael's parents both live in New York.

They've been dating for two years, and after Michael asked Luke to marry him, he's just now meeting the parents.

"Hi Mr. and Mrs. Clifford. It's so nice to finally meet you." Luke said, and they both smiled.

"It's definitely overdue." Michael's dad laughed.

"So, let's get right to it. How did he propose?" Karen asked, and Luke blushed.

"We had just woken up and I looked disgusting but he didn't care. He held me and he said 'I had a proposal planned for next week on the beach, but I can't wait one more second before I ask you to be my husband'. I didn't need a big proposal. I've never been so sure of saying yes before." Luke said, holding onto Michael's hand.

"We're going to a wedding expo this weekend but we're probably just gonna end up having a really small ceremony in the place we met." Michael said as the waiter sat their food down.

"Luke, where do you work? I don't think I've ever asked." Karen said, and Luke's face fell a little bit.

"I'm unemployed right now actually. I'm trying to get into art. I have some pieces in a gallery, and people can bid on-"

"So no real source of income?" She asked, and Luke sheepishly shook his head.

"Mom..." Michael awkwardly laughed.

"That's okay, but it's going to be hard to adopt if you're unemployed." She said, and Luke glanced over at Michael.

"Actually, we've decided to not adopt. We are supporting three children in Africa, and sending money and letters, but we're not actually going to be legal guardians of a child." Luke said, and her eyes widened.

"I'm gonna run to the restroom really fast." Michael said, and Luke set a mental reminder to yell at Michael later for leaving him in this awkward situation.

As Michael walked away, Luke felt his nerves build.

"No kids, huh?" She asked.

"We just believe that instead of bringing one into our home, we can support kids in need-"

"You're ruining my sons life." She said, placing a hand over her heart, closing her eyes.

"Really, unemployed?" Michael's dad asked.

"Well, I'm trying-"

"Art doesn't pay. You have a one in a million chance of making any good money from your doodles." Karen said, and Luke hated how awful this was going.

"Its gonna pay off event-"

"Michael deserves so much more than this. I can't believe what I'm hearing." Karen said, and Luke frowned.

He was always so scared that Michael deserved more, and now he's hearing the harsh truth.

-

Michael held Luke's hand as they drove home.

"Luke, what's wrong?" Michael asked, seeing stray little tears slip down his cheeks.

"They hate me." Luke whispered. "I really wanted tonight to go perfect but they hate me."

"What makes you say that? I know my mom is a little uptight, but I wouldn't say she hates you." Michael said, trying to comfort Luke.

"When you left for the bathroom they said that you deserve so much more than me because I can't support us at all. I make no money, and-"

"Luke, stop it. I really don't believe she said that." Michael said, glancing over at Luke who just nodded.

"They did, and I know I don't make money, but I'm really trying." Luke cried.

"Just forget about it." Michael whispered, letting Luke lay on his arm.

-

Luke nervously smiled as the Clifford's walked into him and Michael's house.

It had been a few days since he last saw them, and he was not expecting them to show up.

He was wearing his painting clothes, and he looked like a mess. The house was cluttered and smelled like acrylic paint because Luke was working on a new project.

"Oh, mom, I'll take your jacket." Michael said, taking it from her hand, and running it upstairs.

"Well, without a job, you'd think he'd be able to keep himself and the house clean..." Karen said to her husband, but obviously loud enough for Luke to hear.

"I'm sorry, I am working on a piece and I-"

"Just stop." She sighed, shaking her head. "Michael deserves so much more than this. How dare you. He deserves someone who can support him, and at least look nice. You're a mess." She said, disgusted with Luke.

"Michael says I look pretty." Luke said, his eyes filling up with tears. "He loves me, and that should be enough."

"Of course he tells you that. He's supposed to, wether or not he means it. I don't understand how Michael could stoop so low."

Luke wiped his eyes, and started walking out of the room quickly, but he bumped into Michael.

Luke fell into Michael's chest, and let his tears soak into the older boys shirt.

"Mom?..." Michael asked, holding the back of Luke's head to comfort him. "Dad?"

Luke held onto Michael's shirt.

"You guys know that I am in love with Luke, right? I've never loved anybody more in my entire life, and wether or not you guys like him, I am going to spend the rest of my life with him." Michael said, and Karen sighed.

"You could have so much more than him."

"He deserves so much more than me, mom, and I don't think you're seeing that. Luke is beautiful, and humble, and so so sweet, and the real question is why did he settle for me?" Michael said, smiling down at Luke.

"I have never met a more forgiving, loving, understanding human being in the whole world. Who cares if he doesn't make money? Art is his passion and all I want is for him to be happy, doing something he loves. He is so much more than what you are saying."

Luke couldn't help but smile, and wipe his eyes as Michael kissed his head.

"I love you both to death, but if you are going to continue talking down to the boy who is my absolute world, than you can leave."