hate

Luke lightly smiled as he walked into Ashton's living room. He could see Michael's skin illuminated by the tv light.

It was a little past 2 in the morning, and they were the only two still awake.

"Why are you up so late?" Luke asked, sitting on the couch that Michael was on.

"Well, I consider this to be the only time I get away from you, but it's clear that you're ruining that too." He said, not looking at Luke.

Luke frowned, and kept his eyes on Michael.

He's always adored Michael.

Luke can't help but feel something so strong towards Michael. The older boy constantly makes fun of him, his clothes, his voice, his hair, and anything else depending on the day. He laughs as Luke speaks up in class, and he sends mean comments Luke's way when he sees him working alone on group assignments.

Luke was just a freshman, but he was so intelligent that he had 3 of his classes with Michael, who I now a junior.

"What do you hate me?" Luke asked, and Michael looked over at him, shaking his head.

"Why, Michael?" Luke whispered, and his face fell. "I know I'm not really cool, and it's kind of embarrassing when you have to be seen with me, and I'm sorry. I d-"

"Luke, stop it." Michael said, and Luke huffed.

"I just want to know." Luke said, tears filling his eyes. All of the stuff Michael says and does hurts him so bad. The only friends he has are these guys, and he doesn't want Michael to hate him.

"I just do, and you can't change that." Michael said.

Luke got up and left the room. He walked back up to the guest room he was staying in, and satin the edge of the bed, crying.

-

About an hour after he finally laid down, he heard the door open. He pretended to be asleep just so he could avoid talking to anyone. He wanted to be by himself.

He felt the bed very slowly sink down beside him.

He knew it was Michael. He could just feel it.

He sensed a hand on his face, the fingers holding his neck, and the thumb running back and forth across his cheek.

"I'm sorry for making you cry." Michael whispered, and Luke held back his smile, wanting to listen.

"I push you away too much. I don't hate you. Truth is, you scare me. I've never liked a boy before but every time I look at you, I can't help but question everything. My sexuality, my preferences, or if I'm just really into you."

He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"You're so beautiful, Luke Hemmings. Goodnight."

He felt a kiss being pressed to his forehead, and he smiled as Michael walked out of the door.

-

The next morning, Luke hadn't forgotten at all what he heard Michael say to him.

He walked into the room Michael was staying in. He got up early to brush his teeth and make his hair look a little more presentable before he saw Michael.

It was only 9 a.m., and the older boy was just laying down, looking at his phone.

"Get out of here. You look even more disgusting when you've just woken up." Michael mumbled.

Even though Luke knew Michael was lying, it still hurt a little.

He just stood there with his hands behind his back.

"Can you hear? Go away!" Michael snapped.

Luke didn't say anything. He just closed the door. He silently walked over to Michael's bed, and sat down.

"Luke, I swear I'm gonna hit you."

"Do it I dare you." Luke said, and Michael's face turned to one of anger.

Michael grabbed Luke's collar, and the blonde boy smiled.

"You won't do it! You know why? Because you said I am beautiful, and you like me. I heard you last night." Luke said, and kept his wide grin, despite Michael holding him by his collar.

Michael's face softened, and he let go of Luke.

"Forget it." Michael said, and Luke shook his head.

"I don't want to. It's the first time somebody has ever really liked me, and funny story, I like him too even though he's made me cry a lot." Luke said, and Michael lightly smiled.

"I'm sorry." Michael said softly.

"You were just scared. I get it, Mikey."

"No it's not. I have said so many awful things to you. How can I make that up to you?" Michael whispered, and Luke smiled, pressing his forehead to Michael's.

"Tell me I'm pretty, and then kiss me."