oh child

"we need to do this more often." luke said, taking another bite of ice cream.

it was a little after 1 a.m., and neither of them could sleep, so michael insisted they eat ice cream.

"you're right, baby." michael said, placing the carton back into the freezer. "do you think brinley is still awake?"

luke looked up and thought for a second. "she's 17, and it's a saturday night. of course she's still up."

"perfect. i'm going to win worlds best dad award, and give her an ice cream sunday while you stay down here and be worlds most boring dad." michael said, and nudged luke's arm.

"alright, daddy." luke said, making michael glare at him.

michael ran up the stairs, and then happily walked to his daughters room.

he twisted the door knob, and opened the door in one swift movement before his eyes went wide, and his jaw dropped.

the two teenagers shuffled around quickly with the blankets, separating from each other, and sitting on opposite sides of the bed.

michael slammed the door shut, and yelled as he ran back down the stairs.

"why is he here?! why is he on my daughter?! oh my gosh!" he panicked.

"michael, what's wrong?" luke asked as he walked over to michael.

"she- luke, oh my g- she's having sex. she's- danny is here. she must've snuck him in or something. i went up there and they were- luke.." michael whined, and brinley came down the stairs, entering the kitchen.

"dad-"

"brinley, what are you thinking?!" michael asked quickly.

"i'm thinking that i'm seventeen, and i'm old enough to make my own decisions." she said, crossing her arms.

"you're just a kid! you can't-"

"michael, i got this." luke said, interrupting his panicking husband.

michael sighed, and sat down. he was still shaken, but he was going to let luke do his thing.

"you're being safe, right?" luke asked.

"yeah- i- i actually got birth control. my friend doesn't use hers anymore because she got hers injected in her arm, but they still send pills, and she said i could use them. we use a condom too just incase. i wouldn't risk anything." she said softly.

"and this is something you really want to do? are you sure you're ready?" luke asked, and she nodded.

"do you love him?" luke asked, and she cracked a smile.

"i love him more than anything in the world." she said, making luke smile.

"than i think that if you believe you're doing the right thing, you're alright. but don't you dare do anything unless you're protected. we will get you anything you need to stay safe, okay? i do not want you using somebody else's pills. that's dangerous. don't be afraid to ask."

"thank you, dad." she whispered, and hugged him tightly.

"i love you, sweetheart." he whispered.

"i love you too."

luke smiled as she ran off, and went back up the stairs.

"are you serious?" michael asked.

"what? did you just hear me win best dad of the year award?" luke asked, and michael furrowed his eyebrows.

"by allowing our daughter to have sex?!" michael asked, his eyes wide. "luke, what the hell?!"

luke laughed a little, and scooted closer to michael.

"baby, she's seventeen years old, and she's being safe. i'd rather us know, and her have protection than finding out when she's pregnant." luke said, and michael sighed.

"luke, i don't like this.." michael said softly.

"i know. i'd rather her still be the innocent little girl, but she's gotta grow up wether we like it or not. besides, you have no room to talk. you had me in bed the day i turned 16." luke laughed.

"16 years old..." michael sighed. "...i was the kid every parent hates."

"i was so young, but i don't regret it at all." luke said softly, his hand on michael's forearm.

"i love you." michael whispered, and pressed a kiss to luke's lips.

"i love you, too. are you alright?" luke asked.

"yeah, i'm okay. i just don't want her to grow up." michael sighed.

"i know, baby." luke pouted, and laid his head on michael's shoulder.

"i guess this officially means we're old."